Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nancyjane_gardener

I have a little real estate left!

I added a couple of tall raised beds last year that now house all of my peppers and eggplant, which have freed up a couple more lower raised beds.
I'm going to do one 4x8 with corn. I don't usually do corn cause it all gets ripe at the same time and I don't like it frozen, but hey, I have neighbors who also share!
I have 1 4x8 and 1 3x3 box left to fill.
What I have so far....several types of tomato,asparagus (permanent) green beans, peppers, eggplant, 2 kinds of squash (I only plant 1 zuk and 1 crookneck cause there's only 2 of us!), kale, cukes, tomatillos, basil, leeks and an herb garden.
Any suggestions to fill a couple more beds? Nancy

Comments (10)

• macers
    9 years ago

Beets? I am trying them for the first year. Cucumbers? There are so many varieties, something for everyone!

• terry_neoh
    9 years ago

Have you ever tried kohlrabi? It is good fresh, steamed, or pickled. If picked at the right time, the flavor and texture are similar to cauliflower, it's much easier to grow, can be grown from seed, and takes up little space for the volume produced. Just remember to peel the bulb. And the young greens are good, too, if you're into that.

The link shows a Harris hybrid, but most seed stands have them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kohlrabi

• carolync1
    9 years ago

Depends on how far you are from the coast. You might want to include your Sunset Zone in your identifying information if you're close to the coast.

If you're in a cool summer area, kohlrabi, beets and maybe some Asian greens would be great. If you're in a hot-summer area, maybe melons. Winter squash are another possibility. Those in the butternut family (moschata) do the best for me. You could add some flowers for the bees, too.

Put those cucumbers on a trellis if you're in a hot-summer climate. I've found that the cultivars chosen in this climate make a great deal of difference in my results in the case of cucumbers and green beans.

Remember to plan for a fall crop. Have fun.

• zzackey
    9 years ago

Okra, edame or English peas.

• nancyjane_gardener
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Our summers are kinda funny. We get the coastal fog in the morning, then heat up to the 80-90 range most afternoons.
    I have 2 3x6s for the fall/winter crop. Actually one of these is one of my free ones, so I'll need something that will be done (or I can plant in between) in Aug..
    I'm thinking beets and leeks in the small bed. Then I think I'll go down to the Baker Creek store and just pick something new and different! Nancy

• nancyjane_gardener
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Our summers are kinda funny. We get the coastal fog in the morning, then heat up to the 80-90 range most afternoons.
    I have 2 3x6s for the fall/winter crop. Actually one of these is one of my free ones, so I'll need something that will be done (or I can plant in between) in Aug..
    I'm thinking beets and leeks in the small bed. Then I think I'll go down to the Baker Creek store and just pick something new and different! Nancy

• thedarkness
    9 years ago

if you can, i suggest wild leeks, i got a few and put in my backyard last summer before they died, they died in my backyard, and came back up this spring to my amazement

• nancyjane_gardener
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My leeks re-seed all over my yard! Nancy

• thedarkness
    9 years ago

what kind of leeks are they? mine are from a forest, i really hope they spread as much as yours, my cousin says he likes to dry the leaves and use them all winter in potato and other soups

• nancyjane_gardener
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm not sure what they are. They have always just re-seeded. Nancy

Sponsored
Longhouse Architects
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Prominent Architecture Firm Creating Cohesive Designs