Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
david883_gw

Kale - indentification and help

david883
10 years ago

Hi everyone,

I think this is my first time in the vegetable forum!

On a whim this weekend I bought some Kale to plant. Of course, after getting home, I went to pull the tag out and saw the tag read "red dynasty kale". Just my luck I grabbed one that had been mislabeled. Anyway... I know it is a cool weather vegetable from cooking with it for a while. This, obviously, didn't stop me from getting it anyway. It looked kinda of sad to begin with but I thought get it out of the flat and into the ground and it'll be fine. Its been in two days and I'm not so sure....

If anyone can help me identify it and give me some growing tips/info. I've read a few other posts but still kind of confused.

Thanks!

Comments (11)

• pnbrown
    10 years ago

So it was far bolted like that in a pot when you bought it? Kind of strange. It will make seed pretty soon, which you can allow to self-sow for fall time.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

David, you DO understand that the kale you purchased has already gone to seed, don't you? That's why it looks so pitiful. This will not be a harvestable plant as far as table fare goes. Collect a few seeds later on, if you want, as pnbrown suggests.

• flora_uk
    10 years ago

David - if you did buy the kale with the flower stalk already there I would try returning it to the seller. They should not have been putting a plant in that condition on sale as it is of no use in the garden except for seed, as rhizo_1 mentioned. They were taking advantage of a newby grower and no reputable seller should have had that plant on display.

• david883
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I did not know it had already bolted. Like I said.... Never grew kale before and kind of bought it on a whim. The seller is over an hour away and I don't think these cost more than a few bucks but I may try to call and let them known i disappointment. I guess partially my fault, not knowing enough about it, but if I were the grower I'd at least tag it as being good for seed only and sell it at a discount. Thanks for the advise everyone. Much appreciated.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

That tall stalk in the middle with the flower head on it is your clue. A young plant will be very compact, forming a tight rosette.

I think that it would be nice of you to call the seller. In truth, they should pull each plant that has bolted...not offering them for sale at all. These plants were no doubt delivered in fine shape from the actual grower, but after too much time at the seller'sthis, is simply what happens.

• farmerdill
    10 years ago

Concur: Red Dynasty is an ornamental kale that is normally used for winter color.That plant was probably a left over from its normal planting season. It is edible but that is not its intended purpose. If you want a kale for eating you should look at varieties developed for that purpose. Ornamental kales and cabbages do look good in winter flower beds tho. Whether or not you want to save seeds should be guided by your projected future use of the plant.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ornamental Brassicas

• david883
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone. I might try to keep some seeds. I should have done more research before doing any purchasing but live and learn. So this is more ornamental? I'll check out some more edible varieties and plan on planting in the fall or early next spring (I assume that's correct... thats kind of what I'm getting out of this)

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Is RED RUSSIAN edible? I mean its planting purpose

• Slimy_Okra
    10 years ago

seysonn,
    Yes, Red Russian is milder tasting than other kales, less bitter, and less fibrous. It also has greater cold tolerance but slightly less heat tolerance (in my experience). Good for late summer plantings if your summers are hot and dry.

• flora_uk
    10 years ago

Red Russian also self sows very effectively. I haven't had to sow any myself for years.

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    10 years ago

I'm growing Red Russian this year. It's milder and plant more than you think because it cooks down to nothing!