Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is it too late to plant elephant garlic in zone 5?

Posted by sheeshshe1 5a (My Page) on
Tue, May 8, 12 at 21:26

I just picked some up and thought maybe it was too late to get anything decent in my zone. If so, can I freeze it or something until the fall?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is it too late to plant elephant garlic in zone 5?

You can plant it now, it won't do much, but will survive, go through its life cycle, and with proper care and growing conditions, a year from now will produce a quality bulb.

It REALLY needs to be planted in the fall. The plant is influenced by day length and temperature, and, just as if you tried to plant a tulip bulb in the spring, it won't perform as it should.

o

Can I keep it in the fridge/freezer so it won't beak out of dormancy and then plant it in the fall?

o

anyone know if I can save it till the fall?

o

Possibly. I've had them hold quite a long time. I don't know if there is a definitive answer one way or the other. If you can get them to store in the fridge and not rot, it would probably work.

o

Keeping it in the fridge DOES break its dormancy. That's why you plant in the fall, because it needs a cold period to start sprouting. That's why you don't keep it in the fridge.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here