Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kanuk_gw

Horseradish flowering: cut or don't cut

kanuk
14 years ago

Is it beneficial to remove the flower stalks from horseradish plants as it is with rhubarb?

Our horseradish plants are sending up flower stalks now but the plant itself is not very leafy. They were planted last July and not harvested yet.

Thanks for your advice in advance.

Comments (11)

• kanuk
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm having trouble opening pdf's at the moment
    Anyone have a short answer in the meantime?
    Thanks again

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    14 years ago

Horseradish in the Garden is the HTML for the above pdf splash.

I am not sure it has any information but perhaps if you scan it more carefully than I did ---

• cyrus_gardner
    14 years ago

Funny! Your horseradish is in bloom and I have planted mine 3 days ago. hehe.
    I bough a good size, fairly fresh horseradish from Asian market(picked the one with most eyes), cut it into 3 pieces, each having at least one eye and voilla, planted them.

Do you think they will grow at all? I am not expecting to get giant roots. Small ones will do just for the heck of it.

• cassieinmass
    14 years ago

Mine is flowering too. Im leaving the flowers on it because im just going to let it do its thang....-cass

• kanuk
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hey fellow horseradishers!!
    albert135~thanks for sending the info from the pdf. I read through the information but it doesn't even mention the fact that horseradish flowers ... but I appreciate that you took the time to send me the info in html format
    cyrus_gardner- Mine was planted in July last summer so they've been in the ground for almost a year. I found them at a nursery. They were small but already had leaves so it was easy to plant. From what I read you should not have trouble seeing yours grow but take a browse through the info sent above for planting instructions ...
    I do know some people who treat them as annuals instead of letting them get invasive and well established. They can be hard to remove because just the tiniest piece(s) of root will grow. So be sure not to locate your plantings in an area of your garden that you might not want it 'forever'.
    I've read also that some people plant them using various methods to control their spread. Submerged containers being one of the ways.
    Good luck with yours.
    cassieinmass- I'm going to experiment. I've got 3 plants all planted at the same time and now very close to blooming. I'm going to remove the flower stalks from 2 and leave one to see how it affects their growth. Aside from my interest in their roots I'm also partial to the clumps of glossy green leaves they develop. My plants are not getting very bushy! Not how I remember horseradish to be as a kid. That's why I was wondering if removing the flower stocks would perhaps cause more leaf development as it does with rhubarb.
    I'm going to cut those stocks off now--------> snip snip

• cassieinmass
    14 years ago

I bought 4 roots, and 2 are flowering right now. Each root was about 3 inches long. The ones that are flower have leaves about the size of butter knives but about 2 inches thick. There is about 10 leaves on each one.... Im very excited about growing this one this year!!!
    Im not one for removing buds. I never do, I just let it do what it does naturally. I dont know why, maybe laziness :P -cass

• kanuk
    Original Author
    14 years ago

cassieinmas-Until this spring I've always just left the plants to do what they do naturally as well. But after seeing the difference removing the flower stalk from a rhubarb plant made to the stalk/leaf production I've become a little more daring.
    Previously I kept thinking I should move the rhubarb due to its lack luster performance. She's stayin' right where she is now!
    Your horseradish plants should give you good growth. You planted them nice and early unlike me planting mine in July last year. It was too late to give me harvestable roots.

• kanuk
    Original Author
    14 years ago

This is a follow up on cutting off the flower stalks.
    I first cut the flower stalks off 2 of the 3 plants but due to the fact that those plants started to noticeably grow more foliage I cut the 3rd off as well.
    My observations are that cutting off the flower stalk seems to increase foliage growth.
    Not sure if it would have happened as the season progressed or not but the number of leaves on the plants increased very soon after removing the stalks.

• robhowell315
    9 years ago

I have just joined this forum and would like to hear the response to: "are there benefits to removing the flowers from horse radish plants", or should they be left on the plants?