Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cs993

vegetables not looking good--please help!

CS993
9 years ago

I planted a bunch of starter plants from a nursery into my garden about 2 weeks ago. They all look poor.. Leaves wilting, yellow and brown bottom leaves and very slow progress. Leaves are falling off as well.

It was clay soil so I tilled in a ton of sand, 1 bag of cow manure and one bag of cotton compost. Garden is about 14' by 10'. A few days ago I lightly fed them some 10-25-10 fertilizer (all I had) and some Epsom salt.
I had to mulch them because the sand caused the soil to dry out pretty quickly.. The mulch now keeps the soil moist. Watered today after 3 days and they still look poor. I was watering every night prior to the mulch.

What else can I do to help these plants?

Comments (3)

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Could you tell us what specific vegetables we are talking about since it is too early fro some things to be out in your zone. Weather could be the cause so what has it been like?.

But the odds are, based on the info so far, it is root rot from over-watering. Yellowing and leaves falling off are classic symptoms of that.

Soil surface is no indication of moisture level at root level and clay soil with a lot of sand added to it can easily turn to nothing more than wet concrete with daily or even every 3 days of watering.

It could also be nutrients. I bag of manure and 1 bag of cotton compost isn't much for that size bed (140 sq.') and the compost won't provide much in inactive soil anyway. Then to hit plants with already damaged roots with a full dose of a strong fert like 10-25-10 can burn.

Based on the info so far I think the best thing you can do for them is quit watering for several days and let the soil at root level dry some and see if they don't perk up. They should unless already too damaged. Either way you'll know. Stick your fingers deep into the soil and feel it.

But this is all just guesses without much more info.

Dave

• CS993
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I've planted tomatoes, squash, bell peppers, jalepeno, strawberries, cucumbers and onion. The onion are actually doing very well and are taking off like crazy..I planted those as bulbs.

I went 3 days without watering them and ended up watering last night. The top inch or so was pretty dry. When I fertilized the other day, I sprinkled just a little around each plant and watered it in.

I think the wind could of caused this too but I will lay off watering and watch the soil more.

Thanks for the help!

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

e planted tomatoes, squash, bell peppers, jalepeno, strawberries, cucumbers and onion. The onion are actually doing very well and are taking off like crazy

Don't know where in KS you are located and KS basically has 2 different zones- 5b in the northern half and 6a in the south. Either way all of these crops have very different planting times. It is 10 -14 days too early for tomatoes, strawberries, and cukes unless they are under cover and it is 4-6 weeks too early for peppers and squash. Neither are spring crops,

Onions are thriving because it is well into their ideal planting time so too early planting of several of the items on your list is probably the primary problem.

The top inch or so was pretty dry.

It is the moisture level at 4-6" down that counts, not the top inch. The top inch or so can be totally dry and still have plenty of moisture for the plant - especially with clay soils as they retain water for a long time.

And, if you didn't harden off the transplants well first for at least a week before planting and then subject them to winds and full sun with no protection from either that will do them in too.

Spring planting can be difficult at best so before doing it you really need to know proper methods for hardening off, protecting the plants, proper watering techniques, and most importantly proper planting times.

I'd suggest buying some fresh tomato and pepper plants and keeping them inside or outside under shelter so you can replace the current ones. Your cucumbers can be direct seeded in 7-10 days and the squash can be direct seeded at the end of May.

Hope this helps.

Dave