Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brandon_the_random

purple/red/yellow Broccoli leaves

Hi y'all,
I planted romanesco broccoli out in april, with one grown indoors since february and 6 others from seed. Obviously the grown indoors one dwarfs the others at a foot tall with about 8 inch long leaves (is that small/stunted?) and has remained that size for about a month. The other ones are still tiny at about 4 inches high. The big one was small when planted so I don't think there's any inhibitory effect from contaminant residue, but I don't know why they're not growing anymore.
Also, the big one has leaves that developed a very interesting shade of royal purple and 1 brown leaf on older leaves and some entirely yellow ones in the middle. However, the green leaves are pretty green and healthy looking. The tiny broccolli's don't have purple or brown leaves but have yellow leaves. We've had a week or two of intense 70~80 degree daytime weather and they're out in full sun, but its died back to the 60's.

I've been watering with miracle gro so it shouldn't have problems with nitrogen, and the soil is loaded with magnesium, so I'm guessing boron deficiency. Are there any other causes? Thanks!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia