Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fix bad soil

Posted by koms1016 9 (My Page) on
Fri, May 10, 13 at 22:08

My husband and I built a raised bed and filled it with 7 yards of garden soil from a local company. Turns out the soil was crap and is filled with bark and has no nutrients in it. All of our plants are dying in it. We want to get new ones, but first I want to fix the soil. I am not a patient person so I don't want to wait for months of composting to do this. Is there anything we can add to the soil once we yank out everything that is dying to ensure new plants thrive? The bed is 15' x 2.5' x 3.5'. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fix bad soil

I would have the soil tested to see what you have and then know what is needed

o

Agree. Get a professional soil test done by your local county ag extension office. Costs $10-12 dollars in most places. That's the only way you'll know exactly what it needs.

In the mean time scout for a local source of bulk compost and a 25-50lb. bag of cottonseed meal or alfalfa meal to bulk up the N levels to cope with all the bark and wood chips. Just don't apply until you get the soil test back. Normally has a 1 week turn around time.

Dave

o

As several folks have mentioned in your other thread on the sickly tomatoes, the questions about sufficient sun exposure and planting methods are also problems for you that need to be resolved. Even with ideal soil mix if there isn't sufficient sun exposure you are going to have difficulty.

Dave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here