Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

Best of the Japanese or Chinese Cucumbers?

newyorkrita
11 years ago

The best selection of seed for the Japanese Cucumbers I was about to find was at the Kitazawa Seed Co. Still there are so many I have no idea which ones to try.

I have never tried any of the asian cucumbers. I have my usual Burpless planted and those are nice. I am not overly fond of the more common cucumbers like Marketmore although I will eat them if I have nothing else. So I figgured I should try the asian ones. That is if I figgure out what to order.

Comments (19)

• carolync1
    11 years ago

It might not exactly fit the Asian style (bumpy skin, etc.), but my favorite is Summer Dance (I think maybe it was bred in Japan). Does well in our hot, dry summers -- but only on a trellis. Stays bitter-free when many other "burpless" types don't. Great texture and flavor, tender skin and very pretty, too. It's on the late side, though. I often plant it with an earlier variety, which usually gives up when the weather gets really hot. "Summer Top" is also vigorous here in summer, but is a bit less refined than Summer Dance. It also stays bitter-free.

• pitcom
    11 years ago

Satsuki Madori is just one of the best I've ever tried. Seeds of change offers seed for this variety. It's prolific, it's thin, its crunchy, and its sweet. There is not much else you can ask for in a cuke. I actually like to juice mine with some apples and put in a few leaves of fresh mint from the garden.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks!

I wanted to get seeds so I had ordered CHINA LONG from GourmetSeeds.com and while I was at it I also ordered the Armenian cucumbers. I got those seeds on Tuesday and decided that I didn't need too many of each. So I planted one of those 4 pack cell packs that you buy seedlings in at the nursery that I had saved. Filled with potting soil, I actually put multiple seeds in each compartment. They I will plant out whatever comes up.

Usually I buy cucumber seedling like that, in the four cell pack things. I look for ones with multiple plants in each compartment and just plant them as is each year. Did that this year also with the Burpless cucumbers.

I hope my seeds come up quickly.

• Trishcuit
    11 years ago

Suyo Long. Long, thin, crunchy and sweet and burpless. You do have to peel them as the skin is prickly. My kids always put salt on the long English cukes from the store but say that these are so tasty you don't need it. (and my kids put salt on EVERYTHING.)
    The link is to my all time favorite vegetable seed source: Baker Creek.

Here is a link that might be useful: Suyo Long cucumber

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It was raining all afternoon so really couldn't do much outside. But there were some times during the day that the rain was nothing but a super fine mist. So I put my gardening hat that I usually wear in the sun on to keep my head dry and I planted all my cucumber seedlings that I have started myself from seed. As soon as I planted them I immediately went and put sluggo around them so that I would not forget. Otherwise the slugs would eat them up overnight. I planted CHINA LONG, MARKET KING and ARMENON MELON cucumbers. I am extra pleased with them because I started them from seed myself.

They join the Burpless, Straight Eight, Marketmore and Salid Bush cucumbers already planted here which I bought as seedlings. I honestly don't know what I think I need all these cucumbers for!

• thefarmguy
    11 years ago

i have to add a vote for the suyo long,,,,great eating and also seem to be pretty good producers.

• thefarmguy
    11 years ago

i have to add a vote for the suyo long,,,,great eating and also seem to be pretty good producers.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I will try SUYO LONG next time. I have too many already for this year! But I am really looking forward to trying those new (to me) varieties.

I am so glad that the sluggo works and that my baby cucumber seedlings have not been munched on by slugs and snails.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I don't know what is going on with my cucumbers. MY CHINA LONG have more blooms than I have even seen on cucumber plants. Tons of blossoms and hardly a cucumber set. One here and there but hard to find any! On the other hand the PALACE KING right next to them are loaded, loaded with little fruits set. Both planted at the same time, both asian cucumbers.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I decided to give the cucumbers some fertilizer. I watered around the roots with my Neptunes Liquid Seweed and Fish Blend Fertilizer.

• emgardener
    11 years ago

I've been planting Palace Kings from Kitazawa Seeds for years.
    Top producer, very, very hardy and prolific plant.

Here is a link that might be useful: Low Cost Vegetable Garden

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Good to know. I really like the way the Palace Kings are setting lots and lots of cukes.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I just can not get over how UGLY those China Long cucumbers are. I picked my first one and tasted it. I didn't see any reason to get excited. Tasted just like any other cukes I eat from my garden and they are just too, too ugly. I don't like the extra spineyness and the wrinkled ridges. Honestly, It doesn't look anything like the picture on the seed package which looks a lot smoother skinned.

I do like the Palace Kings, which I have had a chance to eat some and they taste REALLY great to me and look like I expect a cucumber to look. No wrinkly skins. Maybe it is all in my head about the othrs as I can not get over the uglies!!!! Ugly, ugly!! :-((

But I can say for sure that the China Longs will NOT be back next year!

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I picked so many of those chinese cucumbers today but I didn't get any pictures as I was giving them away and wasn't about to make people stand around and wait while I took pictures. Will have to get pictures next time!

• paul_30068
    11 years ago

I was reading a seed saving book this weekend and it warned about cucumbers cross pollinating and advised that you only raise one variety at a time. Technically bees can travel 1/4 to 1 mile and cross pollinate so your neighbors' choices can affect your pollination as well.

Some plants like tomatoes don't have this problem but others are like cucumbers in that you might get undesirable results due to cross pollinating.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I don't know if the seeds would be true to variety or not if planted as I do not save seeds. As far as the cucumbers themselves, I have planted multiple varieties for years and all next to each other. No problems there. The cukes are whatever they are supposed to be. Lots of Bees in my plants on the flowers.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

{{gwi:60505}}
    Here is a China Long at the bottom next to two Burpless cucumbers. I honesly can't taste any difference once I cut up the cucumbers to use. But I really hate the way the China Long looks what with the bumpy skin.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Picked these today and I there are a few more still coming.

{{gwi:60506}}

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This year I had seeds for the Suyo Long which were left over from last year and I never even got around to starting. So I am trying Suyo Long for my Asian cucumber selection this year. In fact I already seeded it and some seeds are sprouting already.