Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I transplant one of these pumpkins?

Posted by lynnichols z5 OH (My Page) on
Wed, May 14, 14 at 22:13

I have 4 little pumpkin plants coming up (Big Max). Clearly they are too close. The bed is a raised 4 x 8 and nothing else is in it. Two questions�. how many plants to leave in this spot (one or two)? Second question, do you think I could dig one of these up and transplant it or is it too fragile for that kind of thing? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I transplant one of these pumpkins?

One more pic if it matters. Thx Lyn

o

• Posted by ZachS z5 Littleton, CO (My Page) on
    Wed, May 14, 14 at 22:34

I have dug up and moved summer squash and cucumbers before, usually with decent success, but, I don't make a habit of it. They really don't like it when you do that, but as long as you catch them young, you can usually do it without much root disturbance.

That being said, they were never as close together as those ones are. My worry with those is that by trying to dig up one or two, you may damage the roots of the ones your leaving behind, and then you have a possibility of losing them all.

In that situation, I would just thin them. Cut the extras out with scissors and if you have a spot where you want more pumpkins, plant more seeds. I hate thinning and transplant whenever possible, but sometimes, it's your best option.

o

I would just pinch off the two middle ones(Cut by scissors, not to disturb the other two ) and keep the other two. If you want more in another spot, just sow more seeds. They should come up in a week or so. It is possible to separate them and replant them, but if you have not done it before, you will take a risk in doing so. Cucurbits are THE LEAST transplant plants friendly seedlings that I know of. The MOST friendly and forgiving ones : ONIONS family.

o

I agree with seysonn about pinching out the middle two plants, but I wouldn't keep two pumpkins in a bed that size. The seedlings are young enough that the smallest is probably transplantable.

The main thing is if you can take out one for transplant without damage to the remaining seedling's roots.

This post was edited by ltilton on Thu, May 15, 14 at 10:28

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here