Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sweet potato slips: can't plant yet, put into potting soil?

Posted by elisa_Z5 none (My Page) on
Sat, May 10, 14 at 22:21

So my sweet potato slips arrived, and I can't plant them for another couple of weeks. I've re-wet the moss that is around the roots (and covered with waxed paper).

But would it be better to just plant them in pots so that they'll be sure to survive the weeks before my last frost date?

And if not, if it's best to just keep re-wetting the moss around the roots, should I keep them in the fridge?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sweet potato slips: can't plant yet, put into potting soil?

Yes, put them in potting soil. I do that every year. It actually works better for me than planting them directly in the ground, especially if the ground is cool. I let my slips grow in pots for a couple of weeks and then transplant them into the ground like any other vegetable.

Never, ever put sweet potato slips in the fridge. It will kill them.

For best rooting success, plant the slips into moist potting soil on a heat mat and cover with a grow dome or plastic tent. Keep in a bright area out of direct sunshine and they will root in 3 days. The roots will colonize a 4" pot within 7 to 10 days. Take off the dome and turn off the mat as soon as they root, but don't let it get below 70 degrees.

This post was edited by Slimy_Okra on Sat, May 10, 14 at 22:35

o

Thanks Slimy! I'll go put them into pots immediately.

o

If the slips are not well rooted, I would put them in water for a few days.

o

Hmmm. . they're in pots now. A few small roots.
Watered well last night -- will hope for the best.

o

• Posted by djkj 9b (My Page) on
    Sun, May 11, 14 at 14:09

Sweet potatoes grow great in containers (See video link for growing tips)

http://youtu.be/qLjnd2K7-uU

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing and Harvesting Sweet Potatoes in Containers

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here