Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bobmixon

Peas, Bottom Leaves are Brown

BobMixon
9 years ago

Greetings,

I have a bunch of peas growing, in pots, and I am finding the bottom 4" to 6" of leaves are browning. All of the plants are producing peas but I don't know why the leaf browning is happening.

This is my first time growing peas so any help would be greatly appreciated...

Thak you,
Bob

Comments (16)

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    9 years ago

Powdery Mildew most likely. It doesn't show up(symptom-wise) like it does on cukes and squashes. But whenever I've grown snow peas, I notice the warm weather brings it in and wipes out my peas. You might be able to prolong them by using a fungicide, but PM is something you need to deal with proactively -- BEFORE symptoms occur.

I could be wrong though. Let's see what others say.

Kevin

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

If they are already producing peas the plants are not long for this world anyway so I wouldn't worry too much. The mix looks a bit dry. Is that the case or is it my eyes?

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Agree that in most of CA it is getting too late for peas to survive anyway. So while the problem could be caused by the very unusual way you are growing them or by mildew, they aren't long for the world.

Dave

• AiliDeSpain
    9 years ago

How long do peas produce? Mine have just started flowing. Not to hijack the thread :)

• Slimy_Okra
    9 years ago

Those clear plastic tubs are likely heating up the soil too much for those peas, which can hasten their passing on through the veil :). Peas like their roots cool. Up here, the harvest window can range from as little as 3 weeks for unmulched peas in full sun, to 8 weeks for mulched peas in part shade.

• AiliDeSpain
    9 years ago

So they do better in shade and should be mulched? Learn something new every time I visit this forum. I will Mulch mine ASAP!

• Slimy_Okra
    9 years ago

Well, "better" is relative. I still prefer to have them in full sun so I get a bigger, more concentrated harvest over a short period, then when they're done I have time to plant something else.

• AiliDeSpain
    9 years ago

I see. So how much will one plant produce in general? I have about 30 sugar Ann plants.

• BobMixon
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Kevin,

I still have lots to learn regarding peas; this is my first year growing them. Is PM something I will see on them? I currently don't see anything that resembles fungus.

Thank you,
    Bob

• BobMixon
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi floral_uk,

It was a bit dry at the time I took the pictures. I recently moved to Central Valley, from norther ca, and this is my first years garden here. I am learning it is much dryer here so I have started to water twice a day; early morning and late evening.

Just watering the peas more I have noticed an improvement. Peas take a lot of water!

Bob

• BobMixon
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Dave,

I am new to peas, this is my first year. I sowed the seeds in mid February, when no more frost as night. Then thinned them late March. Maybe I should start a bit earlier next year, like February 1st.

I have 21 Lincoln pea plants and 4 sugar snap pea plants. I think I will have enough for a few meals. I was hoping for a lot more, so I could can them for the winter season...

What do you mean I am growing them in a very unusual way? Please share, I would like a better crop next year.

Thank you!
    Bob

• BobMixon
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Slimy_Okra,

The clear tubs was a concern of mine. My entire garden is in containers as I rent where I live. The peas are the only thing in clear tubs and seem to be the only thing not growing as well as I would have liked.

Am I better off using a light green tub in the future? Something that reflects the light instead of exposing the soul for the light to be absorbed?

Thank you,
    Bob

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    9 years ago

Bob: the clear tubs actually magnify the sunlight and "cook" the soil, so never use clear in the sunlight unless you want to solarize the soil and kill anything in said soil.

Regarding the PM -- like I mentioned before, PM with peas doesn't show up nearly as bad as it does like the very noticeable powdery covering like on squash. But with close inspection, one can see it. And the brownish leaves is an indicator. You may just have a case of too much heat, like others have mentioned. I just notice it in the general performance of the pea plat itself. When it starts to heat up to the 80's consistently, it's pretty close to pull them. It's just not worth trying to keep them going. I used to try starting them in Jan-Feb, but they would tucker out just as it started to warm up. Down here, I start them in early November. from Feb-Apr/May, I get awesome harvests. So much that I can freeze almost enough to carry me throughout the rest of the year. They're pretty cold hardy, so check with your local extension for planting dates.

Aili: they'll produce as long as it doesn't get TOO warm. So, mulch, like slimy mentioned, always helps. Just keep harvesting though every 3-4 days. More harvesting, more flowers! Hard to say how much one plant produces, but 30 plants, under the right conditions(cool) will have you inundated.

Kevin

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

The main thing I was referring to is peas are grown in clusters of plants on netting or a trellis not single individual plants - or 1 plant to a pole. I don't know the size of your container but even with all its other problems - clear and shallow - it could be growing many more plants up a trellis,

Peas are one of those crops that don't produce much given the space they require so to justify using space to grow them they are normally intensively planted. See link below.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: How to grow peas in containers

• macky77
    9 years ago

I just wanted to second Dave. Peas are usually planted so much more densely than that. I plant with a rough seed spacing of two inches or so in the row (even more densely if the seed is older or germination rate is unknown). This year we're planting about 210' of row to have enough for the winter for a family of four, just to give you an idea. That's 1,260 plants, if they all germinate at 2" spacing.

• BobMixon
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Dave,

Thank you (and everyone else) for the responses and great information. I had no idea peas could be planted so densely.

I won't use the clear tubs next year. This is the first year I decided to use the clear tubs and that was a mistake. Though I have found that root veggies are doing well in them.

It is warm here, in Central Valley CA, so I think I can sow seeds much earlier in the season. Maybe as early as November. I'm going to do multiple sets this next season to see what works best; sow in November and January.

This is certainly fun for me and I am learning quite a bit. Thank you, again, everyone for your knowledge and help!

Bob