Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How long before bell peppers turn colors?

Posted by organic_gdn_virgy NV (My Page) on
Thu, May 29, 08 at 22:40

Ok, I'm getting anxious to eat some, lol. I have a red bell pepper plant I bought in the store that has bell peppers on it that are about 3" in diameter and 3 - 4 inches long. But they are still green.

I've never grown anything but green bell peppers, so I have to admit, I'm skeptical that they will actually turn colors. Any idea how big they will get before they will ripen to the red color? I don't know the variety, bought them at walmart, but wow I have a lot of peppers on my one red and 3 yellow plants, but all are green still.

Thanks alot. Virginia

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How long before bell peppers turn colors?

You can eat them when they are green. A red bell pepper is just a green bell pepper that is left on the plant longer. All green bell peppers change color eventually.

o

They have to ripen to change colors and they have to do it on the vine and yes, it takes quite awhile. Depending on the variety - 2-3 weeks. The length of times to ripen is why they are so much more expensive than green ones. ;)

Pick some of them green so the plant will keep producing. If you leave all of them on to ripen the plants tend to stop blooming.

Dave

o

That's interesting... I have been looking at mine for a week or so now wondering the same thing.

o

I've found that the yellow bell or orange bell peppers ripen faster than the red bell peppers.

o

Just don't make stuffed peppers with ripe peppers, too sweet to the taste. The ripe are great in salads, stir-fry, etc.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here