Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ammendment overkill?

Posted by elisa_Z5 none (My Page) on
Fri, May 18, 12 at 23:02

I had never realized that too much N can cause plants to be more attractive to insects (correct?).

So I'm wondering-- if I've got really good soil (rocky slightly clayey loam) that I've added what it's original soil test said it needed (Magnesium) and to which I added wood ash and lime (started with 5.4 PH) and to which I add manure and compost each year. . . is the addition of fish emulsion overkill?

My subsequent soil test had high P and K, high CEC, great OM. But if you really can't test effectively for N, do you have to blindly keep adding it each year?

I'm thinking of Ruth Stout, who added nothing but the rotting hay she mulched with. (and later, after some scientists got to her, some alfalfa meal) Thinking I might like to be lazy like her. (I also mulch with loads of hay, which rots quickly into the soil.)

My basic question is can I, indeed *should* I, stop fertilizing? And how to know?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ammendment overkill?

The appearance of your plants should be a good indicator of where you are standing with your nitrogen and its availability. It's one of the easiest nutrient deficiencies to spot. I manure my gardens from my chicken coop and also work the rotten hay bedding into it. I've never had to add anything else and there is so much organic material in my soil now that the once heavy clay can be worked with your hands.

o

I have great soil and still fertilize (organic granular) before planting, to meet the needs of the crop. Corn gets more, lettuce gets less. I only use fish emulsion/kelp if a plant is in distress.

o

But if you really can't test effectively for N, do you have to blindly keep adding it each year?

N dissipates quickly into the air which is why you can't properly test for it. So yes, depending on the need of the specific crop, you need to add it but not overdo it.

It is all the other nutrients you don't need to add regularly, especially P.

Dave

o

Dave is right, N is a very volatile nutrient, over fertilizing with P and K is ok, the plants will only take what they need and leave the rest.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gardening

o

• Posted by glib 5.5 (My Page) on
    Sat, May 19, 12 at 19:39

If you could keep all the nutrients in the plants you use for compost, you would not need anything else. But as it is,
compost has too high P and K, because half the N volatilizes. Manure is a bit better because it starts with relatively high N.

99% of the time, if you have put in a lot of organic matter in the past, you only need to add N. That is why urea (46/0/0) is such a good friend of the mature garden. Also, be aware of who needs N. Carrots, parsnip, beans and peas need nothing. Most veggies need a single shot just about now (or in early spring in the case of garlic, basically, at the beginning of active growth). Only a few (cabbage, collard, corn)need multiple applications.

o

Sounds like maybe I should be focussed more on blood meal or alfalfa meal than anything with NPK since my garden is more "mature" now.

Thanks for all the great info!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here