Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Spinach & Swiss Chard - Sunburned leaves? OR???

Posted by miwilyn z5, WA (My Page) on
Thu, May 20, 10 at 23:34

Can anyone tell me what's going on with my spinach and swiss chard? Several of the leaves look almost as though they've been sunburned with dry, whitish discoloration on the leaves (see pics below). Only thing is we haven't had much in the way of sun yet this spring, except one little period where temps here in Seattle were close to normal (65 or so). Do spinach and swiss chard sunburn? Or what else could be causing this? Thanks!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spinach & Swiss Chard - Sunburned leaves? OR???

could be fertilizer burn or wind burn. Need more information about conditions before making a better guess.

o
RE: Spinach & Swiss Chard - Leafminers; very common pest

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Fri, May 21, 10 at 2:04

Leafminer.

Detach a leaf, then hold it up to the light and look at the edges of the pale area. Likely you'll find some small critters still inside the leaf. They feed between the upper & lower layers of the leaf.

o

Are those pics of seedlings still in flats? If so, the problem may go away when the plants are set out. It's easy for plants to be unhealthy in some way when growing in the restricted conditions of a flat.

Jim

o

I had that happen with my chard last year, with full grown healthy plants. It was only a few leaves, so I just picked them off and threw them away. I think it was bugs, and I didn't lose any plants from it. It looked exactly like that.

o

Thanks jean001! Sure enough, leaf miners. Many have since moved on, but found several still in there hanging out. Removed all the affected leaves. Any organic way to prevent them?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here