Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
babsh2009

Why is my asparagus so skinny? And do I harvest it?

babsh
14 years ago

I planted an asparagus bed 3 years ago. I have been giddy over the prospect of *finally* getting to harvest this year (year 3). But to my dismay, most of the spears are very skinny (thinner than a pencil).

1. Am I only supposed to harvest those that are thicker? Do I let them fern out already?

2. Why are the spears so thin? I know they get thinner as the season progresses, but these are the first ones of the year.

Comments (8)

• pepperdude
    14 years ago

This surprises me as we have a three-year old bed of Jersey Knight asparagus. We harvested just 12 stalks last year but harvested about 50 this year and are now letting the rest grow. A few of the stalks we cut were thicker than my thumb, most about index finger thick. We do not feed much so I'm thinking that maybe your crowns were very small to begin with and haven't sized up yet. We did have a few puny crowns and we have not been able to harvest from those, but the majority are thriving. Some things to consider:

Are they in full sun? That is a must.

Do you have an asparagus beetle problem? If so, deal with that as they can defoliate and weaken plants without it being really evident.

You will probably want to fertilize now. If the plants are not strong yet it will probably help.

Good luck!

• babsh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

They are Jersey Knights, I believe. As far as feeding goes, I put a layer of compost in the fall and water with compost tea and fish emulsion throughout the year. I haven't done anything so far this year, though I know I should've fertilized b4 they sprouted.

I wonder if they aren't at the right depth? I guess I'll try digging a little and see. I am afraid I might damage something though.

Thanks for the feedback. It is great to be able to grow something so tasty. Living in Minnesota poses a lot of growing challenges, but definitely has some benefits as well!

• glib
    14 years ago

Could it be a pH problem? Asparagus is the least tolerant of acid soils. Easily cured with wood ash or lime (best applied in the Fall). Look around the area. Do you have dock or sheep sorrel as weeds? If they are there in numbers (sheep sorrel prefers sandy-acid, dock heavy-acid) you need to raise the pH. Other woodland plants prefer acid soils too.

• jloresick
    7 years ago

My asparagus bed is about ten years old. I did not have a good crop last year--very few thick asparagus. Now this year the ones coming up are thinner than a pencil. I also noticed when I was weeding the bed a few weeks ago that there were a lot of root looking things close to the top of the soil. Now from reading the comments here I realize that I have done two stupid things--forgot to fertilize my crop and did not keep 3-5 inches of soil on top of the crowns. Is it too late for me to do anything about this for this season? I'm so stupid. I just didn't think I had to do anything to this bed. Such an amateur! :(

• digdirt2
    7 years ago

If some the crowns are still showing life then it isn't too late to try to save them while also planting new ones. A heavy feeding, good regular watering throughout the season, and of course fresh new soil or manured compost. No harvest, feed again in the fall and again early next spring and see what happens.

Dave

• Steve Lng Islnd NY Z-7a SunSet Z-34
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Yeah, I have to agree, No harvesting and get that soil level up in height above the crowns and test the PH of the soil. Baby them this year, let them build their support base and they will come out swinging for the fences next year.

• jloresick
    7 years ago

I feel so bad I wasn't paying attention.

Hopefully next year will be better! Thanks all!