Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looking for good, long-handled flat spade

Posted by egganddart49 6a NY (My Page) on
Thu, May 10, 12 at 23:54

All the garden tools I use are long handled, not short with a D- or similar handle. I'm looking for a good quality spade with a long handle, but everything I see is the short handled kind. I don't have much experience with the short kind, but they feel awkward to me. And I've read that they're harder on your back and shoulders.
What's your experience with long vs. short, D-handled tools? All the good ones seem to be European, where they seem only to make the short handled kind. Anyone know of a good, long-handled one?

And by spade, I mean a flat headed tool with a squared off bottom, not a point.

Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking for good, long-handled flat spade

Usually any garden center or big box store will have them. You could also try Lee Valley Tools on-line. They carry several lines of garden stuff. I've purchased a few thing from them and been quite happy. I often meet up with them at the Rochester Garden Show, but they also have a catalog.
Keski

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here