Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please help identify plant w/ small black fruits

Posted by otcay 10 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 12, 14 at 0:10

We inherited a yard from the previous owner of the house with an unusual patch of garden, in one corner sprang this plant. It doesn't seem to grow erect but prefer to bush out closer to the ground.The leaves look like a capsicum and it bore tiny white flowers which later formed small round fruits the size of capers. The fruits were initially green then "ripen" to black. Is this a noxious weed or some prized exotic plant? Help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please help identify plant w/ small black fruits

A photo with the green fruits

o

is this it? not-so-deadly nightshade. (see link)

Here is a link that might be useful: nightshade

o

Maybe it's Solanum burbankii. Common names are wonderberry and garden huckleberry, among others.

Rodney

o

Not 'Deadly' Nightshade - that is Atropa belladonna. The plant at the link is Black Nightshade and the OP's photo could show that or one of the similar Solanums such as S reflexii aka S burbankii. I don't know enough about them to tell them apart.

o

Does not much resemble the Solanum burbankii (wonderberry) I grew - the leaves are too long. Does look like a nightshade. There are many.

o

Thank you for the insights

o

They all belong to solanum/nigtshade family as do eggplants and peppers. Whether or not they are edible or deadly, is another matter that I don't know.

o

Agree with Floral_uk, it looks like one of the black nightshades, probably S. douglasii given your location. There are several very similar species, and they grow wild pretty much everywhere. I take great pains to ensure that they never go to seed in my gardens, and they still crop up from dormant seed or from bird droppings.

When I lived in San Diego, the local Hmong community cultivated one of the black nightshades extensively. There is a pretty god write up of the various species & their properties in the link below.

Personally, I would just treat it like the weed that it is & dispose of it.

Really nice jade plant bush behind it, by the way.

Here is a link that might be useful: Black nightshade

o

It IS the weed, and actually pretty bad one. It spreads a lot, doesn't mind shade, easily growing under large plants. And because it is from the same family as tomatoes, potato, peppers, it spreads the same diseases, they could have. That can mess with your crop "rotation". I kill it as soon as I see one.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here