Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Why are my cucumbers dying? (with photos)

Posted by almax881 z8 (Louisiana) (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 17, 08 at 0:27

I am growing SpaceMaster, Bush Champion, and Picklebush cucumbers in an Earthbox. After doing very well initially, the leaves seem to be dying off and the cucumbers are curved.

We have been having hot weather for a while now (high 90s). Could this be the problem?

ORIGINAL CUCUMBERS

DYING CUCUMBERS
105_3088

105_3089

105_3092

105_3091

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Why are my cucumbers dying? (with photos)

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 17, 08 at 2:17

Very serious case of powdery mildew. It looks like that plant is too far gone to ever do well.

o

Powdery mildew in summer in Louisiana? I think it's bacterial wilt.

Here is a link that might be useful: bacterial wilt

o

Dig up the roots of one of them. You may find something has been attacking the roots or lower stem. This would weaken the plant enough for molds and mildews to take over. I'd wager you would find an anemic root system on these dying plants.

o

They are planted in containers if I'm seeing correctly. Hot weather in direct sun, maybe the roots are cooking?? One of the containers looks kinda small, and maybe not getting adequate water? If they are in the EB's in the photo, water should not be an issue but excessive heat to the plants roots could be.

o

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 17, 08 at 14:35

It was said: "Powdery mildew in summer in Louisiana? I think it's bacterial wilt."

Because I don't know anything about bacterial wilt, I'll give you that possibility.

But please look at the leaves, they are coated with PM.

Beyond that, I also saw they are in containers. And I think those comments (above) are right on.

But since the plant is essentially gone, yes, I would remove it (not pull it) and look at the roots. The answer may well be there.

o

Thanks for the replies.

I'll remove a plant and see what's going on at the root level. I'll report back to what I find.

The cucumber plants are all in an Earthbox. (There are six plants. EB recommends only four, but I figured since these were the bush variety, I could fit more in there).

Oh, and I apologize for the enormous pictures. I thought they would be much smaller than that.

I'll report back.
Thanks for the help.

o

Have you seen any black & yellow bugs near the flowers - either striped or spotted - maybe a quarter inch in length? If so they are cucumber beetles - nasty little buggers. They are very good at spreading diseases to cucumber, squash & melon plants. You probably would have seen the bugs 2 weeks to a month ago.

o

I dug up a cucumber. I didn't notice anything "off" with the roots. If it was powdery mildew, would something be in the roots?

I can't remember seeing any bugs near the plants. However, it is quite possible.

105_3105

Stem shot. I didn't notice any sticky stuff, which is supposed to be an indictator of bacterial wilt.
105_3107

105_3103

o

It sure looks like powdery mildew on those leaves, and lots of it.

Jim

o

cucumber beetles

o

I've looked up cucumber beetles. And Yep, that is most likely the culprit cause I have definitely seem them around.

Now I know how to control things next year.

Thanks for the help everyone.

o

It's also possible you are having a severe case of mosaic virus but if is the culprit you should be having problems with tomatoes and peppers also . From looking at your photo's that pot your growing in is way to small and those plants have gotten a lot of stress on them. I suggest planting em over you still have pleanty of time. Just plant them elseware and in a differnt larger disinfected container

o

almax, My cucumbers look just like yours!! Did you ever find out for sure what it was, and how can I prevent this next time? Thanks!

o

OMG people. Downy mildew. Looks like a pretty classic case. Powdery mildew there too, but I don't think it's what killed 'em

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here