Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
travise_gw

show and tell (pumpkin i grew last year)

TravisE
10 years ago

this is the pumpkin i grew last year. it was around 650lbs. for two days it put on around 40lbs a day. the plant took up a area of around 700 square feet. i have two pumpkin plants going this year. im hoping to grow a bigger one this year.

Comments (11)

• IAmSupernova
    10 years ago

I don't know what else to say except "wow."

What do you plan to do with that thing? When they get that big are they really worth eating (I'm sure they're 'edible' but taste/quality is another matter)?

• TravisE
    Original Author
    10 years ago

i did can some of it. it taste just like any canned pumpkin from the store. it just requires more cooking down do to it is more watery. it was in the front yard for over a month. i did crave it. after cutting what i wanted to keep out of the back of it. after that what was leafed went to the compost heap.

• cb-garden
    10 years ago

How the heck did you do it? What kinda seeds did you use. And WOW nice job...

• TravisE
    Original Author
    10 years ago

all i did was add compost to the ground in the fall. i didnt even use any fertilizer on it. as for the seeds. they where dills atlantic giants, but not the kind you get from the store. if any one wants some seeds to grow one. email me and ill either tell you how to get some or i do have some i can trade. my email is evanstravis39@yahoo.com.

• hnycrk
    10 years ago

Wow! I'm hopeing mine turns into something like that! Any tips?
    This is my big max pumpkin. In also growing jack o lantern. It's about the size of a basketball. I planted two weeks after Easter.
    {{gwi:62015}}

• TravisE
    Original Author
    10 years ago

big max, prize winner, and dills atlantic giants are all the same plant (Cucurbita maxima). just that the atlantic giant have ben breed to grow bigger. but there are some thangs you can do to get them to grow bigger. first bury the vines. at every leaf you will get a bottom root, but when buried they will have a root from bottom and top of the vine. second limit the number of fruit to plant. i have seen some big max with just one fruit that was close to 300lbs. hope this helps.

• TravisE
    Original Author
    10 years ago

one last thang. cut the blossom end off. then put some sulfer on it. it looks like you have blossom end root. also i havent had it, but yours has a dill ring. that is that gray ring around the blossom. that is something youll have to look up. still you have a nice pumpkin there. wish i had one on but it ant time here yet, but close. again i hope this all helps.
    travis

This post was edited by TravisE on Sun, Jun 9, 13 at 22:51

• socks
    10 years ago

Wow, that's just terrific! Thank you for sharing.

• sneed
    10 years ago

Weren't there any contests you could have entered i in? In what state do you live?

• lkzz
    10 years ago

Dang!
    Hey, chickens like pumpkin...got any friend who have backyard chickens?

• ceth_k
    10 years ago

That is total monstrosity!

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor