Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
summer_squash

Pollinating Yellow Squash

Summer_Squash
9 years ago

I have around 12 summer squash plants of zucchini and yellow (which I refer to as summer squash, simply, as that is how I was introduced to them) each, and they are in bunches of maybe 3-4 per bunch, evening out to 7 bunches.

3 are yellow, 4 are zucchini. Two of the yellow are blooming with female flowers, one is just blooming, and two of the zucchini are blooming.

With one of the yellow squash, I'm quite impressed at it's progress. There are 8 possibly pollinated squash on just the one! I am having trouble figuring out if they are pollinated... if they aren't, I'm pulling them and frying them up before they rot, if they are, I want to leave them be so they can grow; they are about 3'' right now.

With 5 of them, I don't expect them to be very big, but with three, I do; one, I don't think is pollinated, as the blossom was shot off by hail just after blooming. The other two were self pollinated maybe 4-5 days ago, but I'm not sure if it worked. They aren't growing much, but the other one is. It's about 30% larger than the other two, who are barely 10% larger than the 5 who bloomed yesterday or today.

Do you know of a way to tell if they are pollinated?

Furthermore, is it possible to 1) eat winter squash blossoms as you do summer ones and 2) pollinate any squash (acorn, for example) to another squash (zucchini, for example)?

Thanks so much for your time!

Comments (6)