Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loribee2

Row covers to protect against aphids?

loribee2
9 years ago

It seems most folks use row covers to protect against beetles. I'm wondering about the tinier bugs, specifically aphids. Will it keep them out too?

Comments (9)

• balloonflower
    9 years ago

Hmmm...they're so tiny. Having dealt with a major blood aphid infestation on my tomatoes this year, it's an interesting thought. Haven't tried row covers yet. They may keep the ladybugs in though! I think we need to breed homing ladybugs--when you get a bunch, they stay within 20ft of where released!

• Slimy_Okra
    9 years ago

They do if you ensure the row covers have no holes and are secured to the ground uniformly - no gaps between the cover and the ground. You'll also have to ensure there isn't even one aphid on the plants before you put the covers on.

• loribee2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm thinking between row covers and an occasion spritz of neem, I might be able to grow pest-free leafy vegetables. Plus, the row covers could sub as a shade structure in the summer, frost protection in the winter, depending on which cover I use.

Hmmm.....

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Honestly if aphids were my only concern or even my primary concern then I wouldn't bother with row covers. Even after years of experience with using them it can still be a hassle getting them set up, maintained, etc. It is well worth it when the pest threat is a big one like SVB, thrips, potato beetles, cabbage moths/worms, etc.but aphids aren't in that same class of threat IME.

Aphids are easy to control for the most part with just plain water and most plants are quite tolerant of them unless it is a major infestation. If that is the case then there is another issue causing it - something like excess nitrogen fertilizer use, extra high humidity from rain or sprinklers, etc.

That said, would it keep them out, yes assuming we are talking about actual insect barrier and not something from the fabric store like tulle.

Dave

• loribee2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, I tolerate aphids on produce where I can wash them off good, like zucchini and even smooth leaf like bok choi. But I'd stopped growing leafy greens because the aphids on them gave me the heebie jeebies, and the time and water I used trying to be sure they were clean wasn't worth the produce.

Almost everything I won't grow is because of aphids, none of them require open pollination, so I'm thinking installing PVC arches over one of my raised beds might be the answer.

I agree with you on the tulle. People say it doesn't last more than a season and it tears easily. I'm looking at the Agribon 15 for summer, and I've already got some Agribon 19 for winter (California "winter" that is).

I didn't know excess nitrogen attracted aphids. I've got an empty bed I'm considering for this that I was just about to amend with a ton of steer and chicken manure. Maybe I should reconsider that move.

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

High nitrogen sources are the primary attractant for aphids.

But the water control I mentioned doesn't mean the kitchen faucet - I mean the garden hose. Even a sprinkling can can be used to blast aphids off plants and kill them. Not to mention you can rub them off plants by the hundreds at a time with your fingers. :)

Dave

• loribee2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Dave!

• Slimy_Okra
    9 years ago

It's funny you say that tulle tears easily. For me, it's exactly the opposite. Tulle and similar materials let the wind through, whereas row covers (especially AG-15) can rip very easily if they are too taut. Too saggy and they don't let rain in properly. However, small aphids can penetrate tulle but not row cover.

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    9 years ago

It does work. I used some over dino kale last year that was interplanted with eggplant and both plants did remarkably well. It was nice not rinsing aphids out of all the crevices. When things do get aphids, when I harvest, I often soak in a bowl of water first and that helps to loosen many.

Here is the big caution though, if you over time end up with aphids under the cover, take the cover off, even if there are lady bugs in there too. The aphids will proliferate and the lady bugs cannot keep up.

Sponsored
Century Stair Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
DC Metro Area Luxury Custom Staircase & Railing Professional