Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bman123_gw

How to kill morning glories?

bman123
9 years ago

Hi,
This spring I planted some morning glories on a small section of fence near my vegetable garden. Lately I have been reading about how invasive morning glory becomes, and I really don't want it to infest my vegetables in coming years. The vines are only a few months old...how easy will it be to rip them up and get all of the roots out of the ground? I really don't want to use Roundup because the MGs are only a six feet away from one of the vegetable beds. Could it be safe to use Roundup in this situation, because the nearest bed contains bush beans nearing the end of their production window, as well as a jalape�o plant that has already yielded a lot. Do I need to get rid of them ASAP? I'll provide a picture, the vegetables are to the left:

Comments (10)

• jean001a
    9 years ago

Garden varieties of morningglory are NOT the same as the nasty weed. Enjoy them!

They might seed around but are easy to remove as seedlings if they pop up here and there.

• cold_weather_is_evil
    9 years ago

>> Garden varieties of morningglory are NOT the same as the nasty weed.

That all depends on your climate. Here they are hard core weeds, and all varieties are labeled an invasive weed by the state. I had them for a dozen years and don't know where they came from. I just pulled them up one year when fixing a fence and they didn't come back.

Lack of water may have been a factor.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

If you don't like them, just pull them. They only propagate by seeds, I think. So if you dont let them flower, then you won't have any the next year.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    9 years ago

The plant you have on the fence there, in my zone 6a, would die in winter. I'm not sure about your zone. Very easy to prevent the plant from reseeding, deadhead the flowers and remove before they set seed. If they do set seed, you can allow them to mature and collect them to save to grow next season or trade for other seed you want. Morning glory seedlings are very easy to pull out too. In my zone I have not found them to be invasive or that big a pain in the neck.

• rayrose
    9 years ago

In my yard they ARE a pain in the neck and almost impossible to get rid of. I've tried every weed killer that's on the market. I don't know why anyone would want to plant this weed. Yes, it's a weed. Plant a clematis instead.

• wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana
    9 years ago

rayrose, What type of morning glory are you talking about?

The annual seeded types can be some nuisance and a problem in farm fields due to their continuing emergence after spraying or cultivating, but are not embeded types.

• loribee2
    9 years ago

There are two types of morning glory, annuals and perennials. Both can be pulled, the annual ideally before any of the flowers go to seed. I've had and removed both several times, have never had to spray to kill them. Just pull them up.

• bman123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all the help everyone! I'm glad to hear that the garden annual varieties aren't as much of a problem as the perennial types. Plus, I haven't heard about or seen any morning glories as a weed in my part of Texas.

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    9 years ago

They are a big problem here in SC!

I have been fighting them in my garden for 35 years!

Everyone that I know has them in their gardens and none of us know how they got there!

• chas045
    9 years ago

They are a pain in North Carolina, but you can pull them or hoe them when small. However, re roundup: I often use roundup almost like a hoe on a calm morning. I make sure that the spray is a fine spray but not a mist that will hover and I spray almost at ground level certainly up to only a foot away from beans or whatever. A couple times I have used a cardboard shield in one hand and nozzle in the other and been right up against plants vs. weeds in my iris garden etc.

Sponsored
ANF Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Kitchen & Bath Designers Servicing VA