Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dancinglemons

Let's talk okra..........

dancinglemons
11 years ago

Hello all,

I've not seen a discussion about okra. I happen to love okra. If you have grown okra please add to the discussion with the varieties you grow, how you prepare the seeds for planting and how you cook your okra. If you save okra seed please share how you saved the seed and if you have developed any "crosses" that you found interesting.

I'll start......

I started growing okra about 20 years ago in a backyard garden. The type I grew was Emerald - which is smooth, round and spineless. The Emerald pods tend to get woody at about 4 inches. I was introduced to Louisiana Green Velvet the following year and stuck with it until I stopped gardening 5-6 years later (work schedule). LGV could grow to 6 inches and still be tender enough to eat.

When I began to garden again I added Clemson Spinless to the mix and only grew it one year - still do not like CS to this day. I discovered Baker Creek Heirloom seeds and began to grow Burmese okra - great okra but did not stay tender after 4-5 inches. Grew Cowhorn varieties for 2 years with great success - taste was good - size of pods was huge. I then returned to the smooth podded okra 2 years ago with Stewart's Zeebest (Baker Creek) and WOW!! This okra grows to 7-9 inches for me with NO loss of tenderness and is quite prolific. The pods are skinny. My plants are widely spaced because I like my plants to branch. Zeebest gets about 8 feet tall in my raised bed garden. Zeebest slows production in late October here in Central Virginia and stops completely by first frost. 2011 is the first year I saved any okra seeds.

I soak my okra seeds for 2 days before planting -- warm water changed 2X per day. Usually do not sow inside but did this year (2012) because I got late start.

I fry okra whole, steam, boil and use in seafood gumbo.

Okra I've grown + rating (5 great -- 1 never again)

Emerald 4

LGV 5

Burmese 5

Burgundy 2

Clemson 1

Zeebest 5+

Cowhorn 4

Cheers,

DL

Comments (93)

• Deborah-SC
    10 years ago

Planted Clemson Spineless a few days ago .... :)

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    10 years ago

Still too wet to plant anything here. I'm going to have to take an emergency vacation day from work if it ever stays dry for a few days! The boss doesn't like those! LOL

• lucillle
    10 years ago

I just ordered Cowhorn seeds on the strength of the positive comments from this thread :).
    Found an Ebay seller that sells 2,000 seeds for the same price many sold a packet of 25 for, not that I'm going to plant 2,000 this season.
    Didn't order the spineless. Had enough ex husbands that fit that description in my opinion, am not going to order anything that actually has the word in its name.

• dancinglemons
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hello all,

Happy to see folks talking okra! One of my very favorite veggies!! I'm still not a fan of Clemson because I like my okra long and smooth. I've got my seeds for Stewart's Zeebest ready to plant this season. I was able to source a tiny bit of Louisiana Green Velvet after years of not locating seed so will plant a few plants of that also.

Good harvest to all in 2013!!

Cheers,
    DL

• fusion_power
    10 years ago

Just a note for Mcleod that the Franklins in Western Jefferson county may be related. One large branch of the family lived in that area in the 1930 census.

The okra variety Granny Franklin was sourced from Franklin County about 7 miles south and a bit west of Phil Campbell.

I have Jing Orange on the schedule to grow this year. I also need to renew my supply of Cowhorn so have to figure out where to slip in a short row.

DarJones

• grandad_2003
    10 years ago

dancinglemons, our local garden center normally sells LA Green Velvet (see link below). However, due to a recent seed crop failure they have been unable to get seed. Maybe they will have it next year. Incidentally, they do mail seeds and just add a charge to cover their shipping costs (no handling fees as best I could tell).

According to Naylor's Hardware, LA Green Velvet & Emerald are close to the same. Supposedly, Emerald grows a bit shorter. So they are recommending Emerald in it's place. I have not tried LA Green Velvet so no personal experience on the comparison - but, shorter for me is a positive attribute.

In any case, my Emerald is planted and sprouted.

Here is a link that might be useful: Naylors Hardware & Garden Center

This post was edited by grandad on Mon, Apr 22, 13 at 13:15

• squirrelwhispererpup
    10 years ago

My Stewarts Zeebest was slow out of the gate but it's now lumbering towards a great harvest. Those plants become huge. Their leaves alone are a foot across. And this week they started to send out branches which have already set flowers and pods. I also planted Dwarf Green Long Pod which grew and started to fruit sooner than the Zeebest. I was a little uncertain about the Zeebest because of this but I'm glad I waited. PS-I even ate one of each raw out of the garden and was pleasantly surprised at the taste! I know that sounds weird...

• dancinglemons
    Original Author
    10 years ago

grandad ,

Thanks for the link. I have not been able to find LGV seeds this year. I do have some old Emerald seed (3-4 years) and you are right they are very similar to LGV only plant is shorter.

I'm growing Stewarts Zeebest right now as they grow HUGE plants over 10 feet tall and branch nicely. The best part about them is the okra can get 7-8 inches long and still be extremely tender.

Thanks again for the link.

Cheers,
    DL

• dancinglemons
    Original Author
    10 years ago

squirrelwhispererpup ,

You are going to really love those Stewarts Zeebest!! This is my 3rd year growing them (if memory serves). They can get 7-8 inches long and still be extremely tender with great flavor.

Cheers,
    DL

• uscjusto
    10 years ago

Is everyone's okra plants perennial?

I'm thinking of planting one on the front yard as an ornamental and just harvesting the pods when they are ready?

Are these plants low maintenance? Would my plan work?

• rjinga
    10 years ago

Almost end of June in middle GA, any thoughts on trying to plant some NOW? too late? I know it can grow here well into November maybe even December? I"m so behind with all the other stuff I have to do day to day with my shop, that my garden just is forced to take a back seat.

I have grown only 2 kinds of okra in the past, I'm sure CS was one since it's most likely what was on the shelves of the stores here, I think I also grew Emerald one year. Cant say I knew enough about them to see any major difference. I'll leave the professional critiques to the professionals on here and just plod along.

I do know from a wise and well seasoned southern gentleman/gardener that a six pack of okra plants purchased from lowes will maybe grow you " a mess" that was my first attempt. The next year I grew 24 plants, and the next season closer to 40.

I bread and fry it, use it in soups is about all. My SIL pickles it and that may be one of the best things I have ever tasted. I LOVED that. Although I have not yet attempted it myself. It's really easy to cut it and bread it and then freeze it for use later, whenever there is surplus. And it amazingly stays perfectly in the freezer.

I want to grow some now, hence my first question....Gardening is very rewarding and sometimes very challenging and discouraging. I hope I never get too busy to stop doing it in one form or fashion.

• Deborah-SC
    10 years ago

Harvested my first okra today -- 4 WHOLE pods ... LOL

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    10 years ago

rjinga, According to Clemson Ext. In zone 8 SC, you can plant the okra now for a fall crop. It should be the same for GA. Check with one of the GA EXT. services.

Deb, at least you are getting some! I was so late planting due to the weather. Mine are only about a foot tall but are bushier than normal! I may have been planting it too early!

I normally plant in early May as recommended.

Oh well, I still have plenty in the freezer but I like it better fresh!

I will be having a big veggie cooking at work, to clean out my freezer . As soon as my veggies start producing. I do that every year and they look forward to it!

We plan it around what I have. I bring the veggies and they bring the meat and sides.

• 2ajsmama
    10 years ago

Is it too late to plant okra now in New England? I told DH I'd grow some for him but it's just been so wet I didn't get it in. Still transplanting peppers now (almost done) and the leftover tomatoes that didn't sell (that will take longer since they're bigger and I have about a dozen, I hate to compost them they look so nice).

Can I grow them in between pepper plants? What pH do they like (I remember they like not high N, not wet).

Thanks

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    10 years ago

ajsmama, in 5b it is probably too late unless you will have some really hot weather. Okra originated in Africa and likes hot weather.

Since you seem to be close to the ocean and some bays (NW CT). I'm just guessing, you may have a longer season?

Since it seems that you have time for tomatoes and pepper you might be able to get some.

PH should be between 6.5 and 7.

• 2ajsmama
    10 years ago

NW CT is about 60 miles from ocean at closest point - we're in the foothills of the Berkshires, zone 5b, 1000ft elevation. Been so wet (and alternating hot/cold) the past 2 months that I didn't get tomatoes and peppers out til this month (peppers this past week, really) b/c I had them started and figured might as well put them in, though I'll be lucky if I get any late-season tomatoes, or any bell peppers at all (definitely not ripe bells). July and early August are usually pretty hot and dry, but this year who knows? First frost in early October. How many DTM is okra (guess I can go look on package of CS from last year - only grew 4 plants, Yankee like me didn't know that wasn't enough to do anything with)?

• uscjusto
    10 years ago

Is everyone's okra plants perennial?
    I'm thinking of planting one on the front yard as an ornamental and just harvesting the pods when they are ready?

Are these plants low maintenance? Would my plan work?

• fusion_power
    10 years ago

Okra is a perennial but is usually grown as an annual because it is not frost hardy.

Most okra is 75 to 80 days from seed to first harvest. It takes 3 more weeks to get to the most productive phase.

• 2ajsmama
    10 years ago

Thanks Dar. Too late for okra here this year then. I didn't even replant the 2/3 of my edamame that drowned since that's 90 days. I'm still hoping for Brandywines.

• goldenbuckeye
    10 years ago

I'd love to trade for some fresh Cow Horn okra seeds this fall if anyone has any and is willing to trade. I don't know what happened with my seed this year but couldn't get any to germinate and planted it 4 times. I think maybe it got too warm in the garage with the woodburner. I usually keep it in the fridge but forgot to this past year.

• squirrelwhispererpup
    10 years ago

Just posting a progress report. I am harvesting a little more than a pound of okra per week now. Tomatoes, squash, and cucumbers are gone but okra just keeps blooming and growing. The so called "dwarf" green long pod plants are almost six feet tall and have started to branch, which I did not expect. The zeebest are branching and producing the same size and quality pods on those branches that their apical growth tips are putting out. If I had a whole row I'd be cutting plenty on a daily basis but with the smaller planting I usually get about six to eight pods every other day. I wrap them unwashed In a clean paper towel and store them in the fridge crisper drawer in one of those green bags that retard produce spoilage. Every Saturday I take stock of whether to cook it or freeze it. So far we've done both. Nice to have in my freezer for gumbo in the Fall! DL, you are right, the zeebest is super and pods as long as eight inches stay slender and tender.

• squirrelwhispererpup
    10 years ago

This week the take was a pound and a half from my seven plants.
    Dwarf Green Long Pod plants are over six feet tall and I am considering cutting them back one or two feet. Has anyone done that, and what were your results? I will have to bring a stepladder out soon if I don't do this.
    Zeebest is slightly less tall but it's branches are almost as high as the main trunk so an intervention might be needed there as well.
    Uscjusto, their ease of growth depends on your growing conditions. I am on the Gulf Coast where the high daytime temps are almost uniformly in the low 90's and this is just what okra likes; in areas with less extreme and constant heat, they would probably be slower to produce. They stop doing much when temps stay below 70 or so. They are fairly drought tolerant in the ground but require regular water in containers, which is where I am growing mine. In ground okra plants can sometimes become infected with root knot nematodes, which causes the root to become clubbed and non-functional. Containers reduce the chances of that happening though sometimes small roots can penetrate to the ground, depending on the type of container used (for eg. Fabric smart pots). I feed my plants weekly with a soluble fertilizer, also because they are in containers and thus can't draw what they might need directly from the soil. Pest problems have been minimal, an occasional worm i picked off, and just a few aphid outbreaks on some buds, which were easily dealt with using insecticidal soap followed by a rinse with the garden hose. The flowers are really pretty but last literally only a few hours, I had four or five this morning and all have fallen off now, with little baby okra showing where the blooms were.

• Deborah-SC
    10 years ago

well .... i'm now having to stand on a step stool to pick my okra - Clemson Spineless - I'm 5'2" with a 6'2" reach ;)

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Well you can, in zone 8, in South Carolina....haha
    Good for you !'
    I used to grow then back in GA.

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    10 years ago

My 20 CS plants are short, about 4' tall, but extra bushy and producing like crazy now!

I've been freezing 2 quarts a day for the last 4 days,sliced up!

My garden was planted late due to so much rain, so my tomatoes, and crowder peas are producing almost too much to handle!

There will be a lot of veggie soup this fall and winter!

• newyorkrita
    10 years ago

Boy you both are doing great. My okra is doing nothing.

• Donna
    10 years ago

squirrelwhisperer, I cut my okra back about 3 weeks ago to about 3 feet above the ground. It almost instantly began to put out side branches in several spots along the stalks. I actually had 3 pods this week! That was fast! I am hoping to get multiple pods from each plant once they get cranked back up. It may be more difficult to spot the pods since they'll be at all different levels, but my garden is small and I don't have but about 12 plants, so I'll be happy for more.

No one here mentioned my favorite way to cook okra: oven roasted. I spray a cookie sheet with olive oil, then lay the okra on it (whole, sliced lengthwise, or cut into rounds), spray the okra with oil and then garlic salt and pepper it. Bake at 450 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes. It is healthy and delicious!

• squirrelwhispererpup
    10 years ago

I cut the plants back to four feet about a week ago.
    Already I have baby branches and some have flowers.
    Temps have been in the upper 90's. Even the okra wilts at 3 in the afternoon. It perks back up by 7 PM. Daily watering has been necessary.
    Very limited rainfall, a half inch every ten days or so, but got .75 inch today.
    We used to average 40+ inches of rain here in Houston on an annual basis and the really high temps didn't show up until later in August. I don't think we've seen 40 inches in a year for some time now.
    DonnaB, I am going to try that recipe as soon as the plants hit their stride again!

• remy101
    10 years ago

Hello
    I am interested in different okra seed . I have these seed to trade
    Pulla pepper
    Arbol pepper
    Orange manzano
    Orange habanero
    Red habanero
    Golden treasure
    San Luis poblano
    Purple bell pepper
    Carlifornia wonder
    Upside down pepper
    Dill
    Sweet mint
    Summer squash pic-n-pic hybrid
    Dragon tongue beans
    Organic Ireland creek Annie beans
    Petite mix color marigold
    Clementine red
    Wild flower mix
    Poppy mixed
    French marigold
    Marigold draft yellow
    Moon Vine
    Zinnia grand champion pink
    Papalo
    Sasha daisy
    Purple coneflower
    Cosmos sensation mix
    Gloriosa daisy
    Lantana
    Aster purple
    Morning glory mix
    Hibiscus confederate pink
    Blanket flower
    Pink holly hock
    Rose of Sharon
    Summer carnival hollyhock
    Heirloom chater double hollyhock
    Red and white hollyhock
    Thank you

• irfourteenmilecreek
    9 years ago

If you are looking for a heavy producing okra variety, look for Heavy Hitter okra. It was developed from Clemson Spineless. Heavy Hitter has an unusually heavily branching habit. It has out produced ZeeBest in Oklahoma Zone 7 seed trails for 3 consecutive years! An important fact to remember is that the tenderness of the pod is not determined so much by the length of the pod, as by the age of the pod. Any pod that is more than 4 or 5 days old will likely be tough, regardless of length. Length is determined by rain fall and night time temperatures, not by age.

Heavy Hitter okra has been known to produce as many as 65 branches, and over 250 pods per plant over the course of the harvest season.

Okra seeds are best germinated by placing them in the fold of a warm, wet paper towel, inside a sealed, plastic, Ziplock bag. Keep the contents of the Ziplock bag between 70 and 100 degrees Fahrenheit for 24 to 48 hours. When white root tip breaks through seed hull the seeds are ready to plant. Plant seeds in moist ground no deeper than 1" inch.

• irfourteenmilecreek
    9 years ago

I have found Heavy Hitter okra to be the best producing okra variety on the market with high yields of tender pods from June until October in Zone 7.

Google, heavy hitter okra pics for more photos.

Some Heavy Hitter okra plants have as many as 65 branches, resembling small okra trees. Very good, high producer for small gardens.

Heavy Hitter is currently growing in over a dozen States in America, and is doing very well in African seed trials, as the developer of this strain has donated several pounds of Heavy Hitter okra seed to feed the hungry, via USAID program.

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    9 years ago

Very interesting irfourteenmilecreek!

I have been saving my Clemson Spineless seed for years and I have noticed more branching on some of my plants. I don't do any pruning, except lower branches when they start loosing color.

I have several this year with 10 or more branches but they are higher up the stalk than yours. They start at about 3' but the plants are 8' tall.

I am going to save the seed from those and plant them separately to see what I get next year.

• Kalie
    9 years ago

This was my first year adding okra to the garden. I planted 8 Clemson seeds at the beginning of May, all germinated within a week, and by July 4th we were getting at least 20 small 3 inch pods per week, which wasn't much, but was fine for just me and my boyfriend who would fry them up on Sundays with our greens and cornbread. :)

However, in August and September the temperatures were in the high 90s or higher every day and we got more than 20 inches of rain both months. So, with nearly daily thunderstorms, the blistering heat, and the humidity that it caused (read: mosquitos), it was hard to get out to pick the okra quick enough and at the right time. Even if I was out there every day, there were still days when the pods grew from one inch to eight inches within the span of a workday. And the pods were tough and not tasty anymore like the earlier ones were.

It is mid-October and the plants are about 10 feet tall and with the lowering temperatures, the pods are returning to normal. I'm thinking I want to try a different variety next Spring. It is very disappointing to have to pick so many enormous, nearly-inedible pods for months. The best part about the plants is by far the large, beautiful flowers that bloom every morning. The bees love them for sure. :)

This post was edited by Kalie_Florida on Tue, Oct 14, 14 at 9:30

• shayneca25
    9 years ago

I grew Chinese Okra this year for the first time. Its a beautiful vine plant which produced a ton of okra.The vines grew to about 10 feet long and they love to climb fences and around trees I let some of the pods grow to full maturity which is about 10-12 long. Allowed then to dry out on the vine for next years seeds. Each pod will produce about 100 seeds. After seeding them they make excellent luffa's.
    A word of warning if you grow these you want to pick them when they are 6-8'' long after that they are too tuff.
    They are great for frying, soups, gumbo and stews. I would not boil or pickle them

• txismyhome
    8 years ago

Can someone tell me where I can buy the Heavy Hitter okra seeds?

• jolj
    8 years ago

I am late planting my CS, but I have time.

• irfourteenmilecreek
    8 years ago

Send an email to fourteenmilecreek@yahoo.com he has seeds for heavy hitter.

• sunrisemadness
    8 years ago

Hi All

I grew CS in a 5 gallon bucket as an experiment on my deck last year (see photo) and did OK with yield. Bucket was lined with garden cloth and top watered (the small hole at the bottom is a drain hole). Two plants matured to about 6' and each produced about 1 pod every couple of days during the summer. Taste was good but I think not as good as in the raised bed. If anyone has any other type okra seeds they would trade or share let me know via eamil on my profile link, I have many hot pepper and tomato seed varieties to trade.

• jolj
    8 years ago

I would need 12 buckets to get enough for my clan.

• sunrisemadness
    8 years ago

Hi Okra Lovers

Ready to plant Heavy Hitter Okra seeds from a generous menber. These were scarified on fine sandpaper and soaked in plain tap water for 3 days. Note the sprouting. Will plant some in 5 gallon buckets and some in the raised bed. 100% germination. Did not try this last year with Clemson Spineless.

• cass062528
    8 years ago

Hi guys this is my first post in Gardenweb, i am a newbie as well, i am just starting my vegetable garden, I am from India, I have started 2 Indian okra seeds with both germination...true leaves have not come yet any advice ?? Thnx

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    8 years ago

I have started 2 Indian okra seeds

My advice would be to plant more seeds if you have room to grow more plants. Only 2 Okra plants will not give you very much to harvest at one time.

• planterjeff
    8 years ago

This post got me back in the mood for okra. Im glad I stopped by here. I had been growing clemson spineless. Well, I've taken ya'lls advice, and picked up some Louisiana Green Velvet seeds from the local shop and I'm going to do a row that.

• PRO
    Cook Electrical Pro Services
    8 years ago

@ cass062528,

Most okra plants only bare one or maybe two pods per plant, every other day. I agree with LoneJack Zn 6a, KC, you'll need to plant more okra seeds if you can, or else you will be frustrated by the need to save pods over several day's harvest in order to accumulate enough pods to be useful.

when I market garden, I plant my okra 9 inches apart, in a double row, staggering the the seeds, so they do not line up. It looks kind of like a saw tooth, or zig-zag pattern. That planting method yields about 1.8 pounds of okra per linear foot of row space over the course of the season. A 150' foot row bearing about 280 pounds of okra per season.

My rows are spaced at least three feet apart, so I can squeeze down the middles to pick okra. In my market garden, I plant my rows five feet apart, so I can get a wheel barrow down the middles. This photo shows me standing between two rows that are five feet apart. This photo was taken early in the season, so the plants haven't filled in yet. By August, the leaves reach out and shake hands across the walkway. At that time, I bring out the corn knife to trim them back away from the walk way.

• sunrisemadness
    8 years ago

Hi cass, great idea on planting 9" apart in a sawtooth pattern row. Going to try that this season.

• PRO
    8 years ago

I have pretty good luck with the double planted rows. I forgot to mention they are 10" inch raised plasticulture beds about 30" inches wide, with drip line irrigation down the middle of the "SAW TOOTH" pattern. The plastic keeps down the weeds, so you don't have to hoe, or till, under the okra plants. I grow about half a ton or so, of market okra each year. I work by myself, so it's all I can do to pick it all from 6:00 am until 11:00 am when I take it to town to sell it. I usually pick 60 to 100 pounds of okra per harvest. It takes me 3 to 4 hours to pick that much. I have a couple grocery store customers that buy it from me wholesale.

• jolj
    7 years ago

That sounds like 100 plants to me.

• PRO
    7 years ago

I plant 120 seeds per 150' foot row when I use Plasticulture. The raised beds are 30" inches wide, with a drip tape down the center. I plant one row on each side of the drip tape. The seeds are staggered in a zig zag pattern on 30" inch centers. Each side of the drip tape in my raised bed gets 60 seeds in a 150' foot row. This gives them room to spread bigger roots and to branch laterally in every direction. I usually water by drip irrigation from my well, for about two hours every night when it's hot and dry in Summer. Okra takes plenty of water. I plant several rows (at least 8 or more) I have a large extended family, and supply them several bushels of okra to freeze, plus sell okra at market, and also save several pounds of seeds each year for distribution. The variety I grow is called Heavy Hitter.

• PRO
    7 years ago

To clarify, I plant two garden spots. In one garden, I plant double rows, on 9" inch centers in a zig zag pattern. I do this to get straight, tall, plants (kind of like you see trees in the woods that are too thickly planted, where the trees look like poles because they are fighting to get light and only grow tall). In my other garden spot, I plant double rows on 30" inch centers, so I get widely branching plants ( kind of like you see trees growing in parks where there is wide spacing and they are able to spread their branches freely). I am doing this for research to compare production rates with different spacing. So, if you want wide branching, allow plenty of space between your plants.

• jolj
    7 years ago

My brother in law planted 50 plants, froze all he needed, gave pods away to friend until they said no more. I did not plant okra that year, so he told me to come get all I wanted, when I had my fill he plowed the patch under. When had 4 five gallon bucket full every 3 days. I composted about 1/2 bucket of tough pods.

We still had frozen pods when we were picking pods the next Spring.

I have another brother in law who live in Ga. & he plants 800 plant every year to sale to people who come to his farm to pick up fruit & vegetables.

He has been picking summer squash for two weeks now.

He grows garlic, leeks, peppers,tomatoes,bean,corn ,kale & other greens.

Muscadines, blueberry's,blackberries, strawberries,plums for sale.

Many potted herbs & fruit plants also.

He said Tara is the best muscadine he his ever grown.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?