Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nickjoseph

Pine needles falling on our garden

Hi, our neighbors old, huge pine/fir tree is dropping dried (yellowish) needles onto our vegetable garden. I heard needles are acidic. Can this affect our garden adversely? We are growing cukes, tomatoes, green peppers, pole beans, radishes, onions. Thanks!

Comments (9)

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Pine needle are slightly acidic but not to extend to make a significant change in pH. The effect will be when they are composted. I used to garden near pine trees canopy and the garden soil had a pH about 6.5. Even then I used to mulch my tomatoes with pine needles/straw. They are good soil amender.

But some falling needles can make holes in the leaves. Nothing serious there either.

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Many use pine straw to mulch their gardens with no issues at all. I wish I could get my hands on a truckload of it. :)

Dave

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

pH is an exponential function ...

its a wild exaggeration... but i like to say... to change pH you would need about ten feet of pine needles.. for about 100 years... to SIGNIFICANTLY change soil pH ...

as i said.. its an exaggeration... but i hope you get the drift ...

as noted.. pine needles for garden mulch are really big.. in certain geographic areas ... apparently not yours...

free mulch dude.. dont fight it.. go with it ...

ken

• Donna
    9 years ago

Pine straw is my mulch of choice. It's easy to manage, easy to move. And free, as stated above. I have used it for twenty years and my soil Ph has remained constant. Count your blessings. (Put it on about six inches thick for best results. it will settle to less depth quickly.)

• elisa_z5
    9 years ago

Nice neighbors to share their pine needles with you :)

• howelbama
    9 years ago

I rake up the fallen pine needles in my back yard and compost them and also use them to mulch with.

The only thing you need to watch for is ticks, they seem to love them as well. They are something you should be on the look out for while gardening anyway though.

• Molex 7a NYC
    9 years ago

we should all be so lucky, all I get are millions of (MILLIONS) Tree of Heaven seedlings.

• nickjoseph Milwaukee, WI
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Molex, I just looked out our window today after a complete day of raining to glimpse our garden. We have twice over raked out & blown out the needles. Lo and behold, what do I see, an entire garden filled with little green seedlings from our neighbor's other tree. It does look like the Tree of Heaven leaves & seedlings. In all our 22 years of living here and having a garden, I do not ever remember the trees dropping seeds & needles like this quantity....ever. Tomorrow we will try to pick up, rake off as many as we can. Do you know if these hurt the tomatoes & cucumbers? Thanks. Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

• Molex 7a NYC
    8 years ago

old thread, but needles and seeds are fine, just an annoyance. In fact I tend to let some weeds be for a few weeks on end, something is eating them and not "my" actual plants, so I've got that going for me.