Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nancyjane_gardener

Where are you from???

nancyjane_gardener
10 years ago

There are so many many wonderful posts and questions this time of year about our passion! We LOVE this, and love to be part of your gardening experience!
BUT... I have noticed a lot of questions that don't have a zone or even a state that they are from!
You can put that into your user name info, but it is also helpful, when you are posting, to mention conditions in your area!
What made me realize this is that I just made a post about raspberries where the neighbor's soil was really well amended, but the area I want to plant was not! Same 1/2 acre, different conditions! happy gardening! Nancy

Comments (23)

• Slimy_Okra
    10 years ago

2b, Saskatchewan, Canada.

Our frost-free season is technically 115 days long, but we have had frost in every month of the year. Spring and fall are contracted seasons. For example, this year, we had temps. in the low 80s in early May and snowbanks that hadn't yet melted away. The ground was frozen in some places. It becomes very difficult to grow cool-season crops like spinach and peas because the time from snowmelt to too hot is shorter than their DTM.

What's good about this place: usually too cold for SVBs, bean beetles, squash bugs and many other insects.

What's not good about this place: the winter, spring and fall.

• zzackey
    10 years ago

Geez! That sounds too cold for just about anything. I am ready for some cold weather, tho. 94 tomorrow. I'm sweating my brains out! I work outside in the mornings in my gardens and I have to give up around 11:00. Too darn hot and humid. I'm in zone 8b about an hour from Jacksonville, Fl. I grew up in northern PA. Still not used to the heat and humidity after 24 years!

• seysonn
    10 years ago

I am almost a transplant here at PNW, Seattle, WA area. Technically my zone is 7B to 8. But it means not much in terms of gardening. We are just entering 70F+ day and 54F+ night temperature. The spring rain season is due to end soon. But all in all, summers are cool. Forget about growing okra, melons or other heat loving southern things. Cucumbers, summer squash are ok since you don't have to wait for them to ripen up.

That is why I have stopped making declarations based on zone numbers alone. Although there is a correlation but it is nowhere near 75%. I previously gardened in North GA, zone 7B. but that 7B and this 7B are a world apart when it comes to gardening.

• nc_crn
    10 years ago

The fact Slimy_Okra is from a Zone 2 in Saskatchewan...and growing okra...well, I salute you. As someone that grows it every year (and loves it) I always hate it when my production slows down in mid-October when it's not even excessively cold out. We hit 50F (10C) nights around mid-October and the okra doesn't die, but it severely slows and starts to give up. Okra simply likes it hot and sunny.

That takes some timing, variety selection, finger crossing, and dedication...and most likely some season extending measures.

I'm in central NC (7b, leaning 8a recently)...early/mid-April through early-November you can keep pretty much any summer crop going. During winter leafy crops do well...some non-leafy stuff (or tender leafy stuff, such as some lettuces) benefit from tunnels and you may not be harvesting (peas, especially) until the weather warms.

This post was edited by nc-crn on Fri, Jun 28, 13 at 3:40

• edweather USDA 9a, HZ 9, Sunset 28
    10 years ago

Nancy, it drives me crazy to have a garden forum and people don't at least mention their zone. Really? That's all I'll say about that before I go off the deep end. If we could have a signature on our posts.......something to that effect would be mine.

• pnbrown
    10 years ago

I think a lot of newbies simply don't understand the significance of climate nor the effects of latitude and longitude in north america. Understanding that is a big part of no longer being a gardening neophyte, isn't it?

For example, I'm a florida native, but it wasn't until gardening in florida that I really came to observe the climate in a comprehensive way and to understand the impact on crops (partially at least!). Before that it was simply to notice whether it's hot or cold, comfortable or uncomfortable for humans.

• michelliot
    10 years ago

Actually, Edweather, your zone is stated immediately after your name at the beginning of each post, if that's what your referring to.

elliot

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    10 years ago

I'm in San Diego, but not really. I'm actually about 20 miles inland from the glorious beaches and downtown. What that equates to---- 75F(80 max) at the coast today and 100-105F where I am--- A/C needed about 7 days a year at the coast, A/C needed throughout much of the months of July-October where I'm at ---might freeze for a couple hours at night a couple days every few years at the coast, freezes for about 30 days total(complete guess) at night every year --- water and electric bills outrageous where I'm at, but better chile and tomato weather. It's amazing how just a few miles difference makes the microclimates so diverse.

20 miles east of me the mountains start, and just over them, the desert.

Kevin

This post was edited by woohooman on Fri, Jun 28, 13 at 13:23

10 years ago

michelliot, yes that's what I am referring to when I say "mention." Most people don't add their zone to their profile so it shows up after their name. Like was just mentioned, I also believe that alot of 'those' people are newbies. At least I hope so, so I can maintain some kind of faith in the human race :-)

• Slimy_Okra
    10 years ago

nc-crn,

To be honest, okra is hit-and-miss here.With a decent summer, and all the stuff to coddle it along (raised beds, plastic mulch, row covers, plastic covers), it produces OK from mid July to about late August. I've found that the best varieties to grow here are Annie Oakley II and Pentagreen.

• wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana
    10 years ago

I'm from central Indiana which where I'm at has moved to 6a from 5b...while most of the area to my west is 5b. There isn't much difference as far as summer gardening goes. Generally here in the level terrain, an extra growing day is gained for every 12-14 days as you go southward.

• squirrelwhispererpup
    10 years ago

Slimy okra, try Dwarf Green Long Pod, it produces pretty fast.
    I'm in 9a, Houston, 50 miles from the Gulf of Mexico. We used to get lots of rain but things seem to be changing and the rain is gone. Spring garden is pretty much toast by July 4 but okra and basil are very happy in our heat. Whereas you guys in more temperate climes take off in the winter, I am getting ready for my July-August hiatus. Nothing will germinate in this heat but I hope in mid September to start some collards and turnips and rutabagas. Till then I'll just have to envy your milder summers!

• pnbrown
    10 years ago

take off in the summer, do you mean? Speaking of, we've hardly seen the sun here in nearly a week. Very strange for this time of year.

• nancyjane_gardener
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Funny, all the people who responded have their zone/state in their user name! LOL NNancy

• pnbrown
    10 years ago

I might be mistaken but I heard that new sign-ups don't have an option for putting the zone and location in the handle-bar, so to speak.

• lonmower
    10 years ago

I just went to a "dummy account" and viewed the sign in and PBBROWN is correct that zone and location is not required at sign in. I sent an email to "contact us" asking that this be included. The lack of this info drives me "crazier"

(deer in the garden the last few nights started the crazy process here)

• lonmower
    10 years ago

This is the answer to my email to gardenweb

Lonmower,

While we agree that this information is very important, we also understand that privacy is also an important issue for many members and respect their decision to not share this information if they so choose.

We appreciate you taking that time to contact us.

Sincerely,

GardenWeb Staff

Not sure how one considers zone and location a violation of privacy after requiring an email address at registration(???)

• theforgottenone1013 (SE MI zone 5b/6a)
    10 years ago

I think the privacy part of Gardenweb's response pertains to members not wanting other members to know their zone and location, it's not neccesarily about Gardenweb itself knowing the member's zone. So instead of requiring a zone, they make it optional.

If people were to go to their profile, they have the option of including their zone/location. They also have the option of including it when they post to the forum or post a follow-up comment.

Rodney

• lonmower
    10 years ago

forgottenone (you poor thing)...

much discussion about how questions can not be properly answered and responses properly weighed without zone and location info. This is info that many users (new?) of this forum do not include.

I believe that Rhode Island is our smallest State, but it might be Delaware. Let's say you lived in our smallest state and you gave out that and your zone and let's say I was a bad person who meant you harm...could I find you: given R.I. and Zone 6? I don't think so!!!

Think about trying to find someone in Texas!

• theforgottenone1013 (SE MI zone 5b/6a)
    10 years ago

Yes, I've got a weird username. Not that it matters in this conversation.

I get what you are saying and I agree with you. I was just trying to think about it from Gardenweb's perspective. There are some people out there who don't like to give out that type of info.

In my opinion, I think people should tell what zone they are in because it makes it easier for people trying to help them. But they should CHOOSE to tell their zone, it shouldn't be required.

Rodney

10 years ago

Yes they should 'choose' to at least tell their zone, after all this is a garden forum. It's not a privacy issue, it's just a lack of knowledge issue for new people mostly. There are Zone 5's all over the world. Heck anyone with a cell phone can immediately be located by big brother, and no one worries about that 'lack of privacy.'

• lynn_1965
    10 years ago

I'm just a lurker, but I'm from Reedsport, OR

Lynn

• lonmower
    10 years ago

Lynn...
    Lurking is fine on this forum. Your response proves my point (sort of). Your Zone 7a is much different that a 7a in Georgia or Texas. Most folks probably don't know that Reedsport is on the Oregon Coast. In a perfect world (gardening forum) you might list your location as Zone 7a Oregon Coast.

Here on the edge of the Willamette Valley we have highs today in the mid 90's and although I am less than 75 miles from Lynn she is experiencing high temps in the mid 60's

Location Location Location