Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Back from trip! Haven't peeked yet!

Posted by nancyjane_gardener USDA 8ish No CA (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 7, 14 at 2:36

Well we're back from 2 weeks in Hawaii! Our daughter was given instructions on the minimum watering that would keep everything alive, but not ruin her social life! (We all have our priorities, don't we?)
I've been tempted to go out with a flashlight, but have resisted!
Will report in tomorrow! Nancy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Back from trip! Haven't peeked yet!

Welcome back, Nancy!

o

Well, the tomatoes are ready to be tethered to the wire, went from about 10" to 2' in 2 weeks!
Corn went from 3" to about 8".
Squash (zuk and crookneck) will start delivering in a day or 2!
Green beans have started traveling! Need to finish the jute up the bamboo soon!
Tomatillos still have flea beetle bites, but look healthy.
Daughter said she watered the raised up garden boxes, but I think she forgot them! Peppers and eggplant are dead! Sigh! Need to till up those beds for re-planting!
I didn't see a lot of gardens in Hawaii, but have read of them! I'm thinking it's too humid to not have a bunch of fungus and disease!
Anyhow, still not sure what time it is! Really tired!
Back to the garden tomorrow! Nancy

o

Glad almost everything made it okay. Your garden sounds about where mine is. I bought zucchini at the store yesterday, and realized this morning I shouldn't have. I'll have my own before the weekend is out. Sorry to hear you lost your peppers. They aren't exactly plants you can just start again from seeds right now. Gonna replace them with something from the nursery? I hear the Santa Rosa Farmers Market sells good starts this time of year.

o

I like Imwalles in SR.
They grow their own and are very inexpensive. Nancy

o

Good to know. I lost half my peppers to birds one year. Bought some starts at Home Depot to replace them, and the difference between them and my home-started ones were significant. I swore I'd never waste my time with big box starts again after that.

o

Imwalles didn't have single pepper starts, so I got a 6-pak of bells and jalepinos! Also 6-pak of eggplants! Whoooooo, I might be in trouble! LOL Nancy

o

LOL glad you were able to replace your lost plants.

o

Very nice -- garden success, AND you've got a tan :)

o

NO NO! NO tan! I'm a former redhead and HIDE from the sun! LOL
It was actually too HOT for me this time! High 80-mid 90s! YUK!
The last 2 times we went were in March/April low to mid 80s..perfect!
Anyway, I planted the new peppers and eggplants and realized that some had survived! I might be in BIG trouble in August! LOL Nancy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here