Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brandon_the_random

How big should pepper plants get?

I just started growing peppers this year, any advice would be appreciated!
I have 7 cayenne pepper plants, 6 bell pepper plants, and 4 petite pepper plants. I grew them indoors and brought them out in Mid May at about 6 inches in height. Although, they're much bigger at about 10" tall and with many more leaves, they're starting to flower profusely. I heard that they shouldn't be allowed to flower before the plant is at a decent size. What is a decent size?

They haven't grown much height wise in almost a month and keep setting flowers every few days after I keep pinching them off.

The petite peppers are the healthiest with a bushy look and many stems, the cayenne's second with a strong Y stalk but not as many leaves. The bell peppers are being ravaged by some beastly pest and they're all tiny 6" plants with toughened leaves and holes everywhere. One has only 3 leaves left. What eats bell pepper leaves?

They're provided with plenty of fertilizer, and they seem lush green and healthy overall (nutrition wise), but they just don't seem to be growing.

P.S.
I grew them all from seed, and the cayennes from a mixed bag. One plant has golden stems, leaves, flowers, and everything. Is that natural or is it sick? It seems to flower and grow leaves profusely, but I thought the amount of chlorophyll that makes plants green is essential for growth?

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?