Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
More pumpkin troubles: yellowing leaves...

Posted by carol_71 Netherlands z8 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 6, 07 at 5:24

Well, Im a bit closer to give up for this first season with groiwing pumpkins, but not just yet. Two days ago I posted about a suspicious bug, without yet establishing with certainty if it was a once off or what. However, these yellowing leaves are a symptom of "something" that is not right with these seedlings. What might it be? Low mineral nutrients?
Theyre in a good quality seedstarting mix, which comes with fertilizer for 6 to 8 weeks long, so no added fert. yet.

Thanks in advance for your opinions,
Carol

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: More pumpkin troubles: yellowing leaves...

Forgot to put the link for the picture!

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i109/Carol_71/pumpkin seedlings/Pumpkinseedlings001.jpg

o

Hi Carol - Yellowing leaves on seedlings usually indicates excessive watering. If the soil is kept too wet the roots can't get the needed oxygen. That would be my best guess based on your picture so you might try to let them dry out a bit more and then cut back on the watering. See if that helps. Good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: Carol's pumpkin seedling pic

o

Thank you so much digdirt!! I'll let them sleep inside then tonight, so that they don't get the moisture of the dew.
BTW, with DH we found very funny your nickname!
See you around
Carol

o

To check your plants for overwatering -- and you may be hesiant to do this, but it's for their own good -- gently dig up a single root and check its color. Usually, if a root is light in color, it's healthy. If it's brown or black, it indicates overwatering. If you don't want to dig, smell the soil; it may smell sour. Or it may not. Digging is the most reliable way to tell.

In general, feel the soil before you water. If it's moist, don't water it. :)

o

Thank you karenrei! Saw your message and did what you advised (it was easy because theyre still in their pots). No dark roots, nor smell, however on the heavy/wetter side. I dont know, since today I sprayed them with an organic (but not homemade) fungal disease preventative of a good brand they sell here. Ill keep you posted on the destiny of my poor seedlings.
Carol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here