Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lilyd74

Root aphids

lilyd74 (5b sw MI)
10 years ago

So I was weeding yesterday and much to my surprise I pulled up these critters. I'd never head of root aphids before, but lo and behold here they are. I'm calling this year the year of the aphids - between the tomatoes, the apple tree, the currant bushes, the beans. . .

So at any rate, I use neem spray and I'm waiting on some lacewing larvae for the above ground aphids. What can you do for the below ground ones? I just planted sweet potato starts in that bed, and now I know why the peppers in front of the trellis aren't thriving. I need to do something about this to save my peppers, and fast!

Comments (5)

• planatus
    10 years ago

There is an OMRI-approved biological pesticide called Mycotrol that uses a fungus, Beauveria bassiana, to kill root aphids in container crops. Johnny's, Peaceful Valley, and a few other sell it, but it's expensive.

I often see root aphids clustered on dandelion roots when I pull them out. With those peppers, I'd drench the roots with soap solution and then mound up soil and mulch to change the microclimate.

• sunnibel7 Md 7
    10 years ago

The root aphids I had were farmed by ants and controlling the ants stopped the spread of the aphids. I also tried a soil drench of a neem solution that seemed to help with the aphids directly. Aphids on roots are indeed an unpleasant surprise. Good luck!

• lilyd74 (5b sw MI)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks! I think I'll go with a multipronged approach and try a soap or neem drench, mounding dirt, and ant control.

• bjmacaoidh
    8 years ago

Wait. Don't start with the kiling agents. If the aphids prefer the dandilion roots, DON'T pull the dandilions, and espcially don't try to treat them with some kind of toxic herbicide or aphid killer. If the aphids are on the roots of the dandilions, that does NOT mean they are on the roots of your other plants. It is possible that keeping the dandelions, the roots of which would be the aphids favorite food, is helping to keep the aphids from looking for plants that they don't like as much. If there are aphids on your other plants, the best thing you can do it let the dandelions thrive, so the aphids don't have to move to less-preferred food sources. Watch this video - and pay attention specifically right after 4:00 minutes - and keep watching. He will talk about DANDELIONS!! Listen to the experience. https://vimeo.com/98940910

• bjmacaoidh
    8 years ago

of course your crisis was 2 years ago, but maybe you will be able to apply this knowledge going forward.

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm