Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

Shredded leaf layer - what to do?

2ajsmama
9 years ago

DH decided to help on Sat when I had to get DD to a Scout field trip. He put composted manure (very well composted, medum low in N, but high in P and K) on a bed where I planned on planting tomatoes. Bed is sandy loam and last year with all the rain got very low in N (I'm going to try bloodmeal) and K though P was High (hopefully adding more won't hurt).

BUT.... this was the bed he had put shredded leaves on and covered with burlap. The leaves didn't really decompose, I pulled off the burlap when I was out there planting beans the other day so that the soil could warm up. Had an inch or 2 of shredded leaves that I didn't rake off, but neither did he.

So now I have sandy loam already low in N, a 2" layer of leaves, and 3" of compost on top the whole length of the bed where I was going to transplant tomatoes 2ft apart.

I assume that dry leaves will tie up N as they decompose just like wood does. So I don't know if I should dig everything in along the whole row. Sprinkle with bloodmeal (and how much?) first?

Or clear spots every 2ft for transplants and just dig a couple shovelfuls of compost into the hole for each plant, leave the leaf/compost layers alone? Mix them later so the leave don't get into the holes? Then sprinkle bloodmeal around each plant? or put it in the holes (I don't want to burn the roots)?

Comments (2)