Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pd0xgard_

Peanut Peg?

pd0xgard_
9 years ago

I've been noticing a bunch of flowers on my "Jumbo Virginia" plants. Where are the pegs exactly? Are they part of the stem that the blooms were on? I see my flowers, they wither and die, stem included. Do the pegs come from elsewhere after the flowers/stems die off? Thanks!

Comments (12)

• farmerdill
    9 years ago

no: the flower stalks become the pegs. They grow just like a bean except the pods have to be underground to form.

• pd0xgard_
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hmmm...wonder what are happening to mine then...too dry and withering? hmmm

• mav72
    9 years ago

Was the stem damaged? It's normal for the flower to wilt after blooming and, as farmerdill mentioned, the pegs grow from that.

• pd0xgard_
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I don't think so, I'll try to get some close up pictures of the blooms today or tomorrow.

• farmerdill
    9 years ago

The pegs are not showy, just a long sharp pointed stem. {{gwi:63131}} {{gwi:63132}} {{gwi:63133}}

• pd0xgard_
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok, see in your second picture there, in the middle left of the picture, there's a shriveled up flower. It's stem is tiny tiny tiny, and all dried up looking....that's what I see.

• pd0xgard_
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's one of mine. In your pics there, there are pegs there? See in mine, esp. the faded bloom on the right there, faded bloom...and tiny/really thin stem that doesn't look like could do much of anything. The curved stem closer to the main center stalks there has a bit more oomph to it, but still doesn't look like much. Never grown peanut before, so I'm still concerned I'm doing something wrong. Maybe under-watering?

• pd0xgard_
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another...see how the faded bloom/stem is now hanging upside down toward the ground. That is going to develop into a peg and penetrate the soil? Looks pretty weak/withered to me, but I have no clue what I'm doing here.

• mav72
    9 years ago

Yep you got it... The pegs don't look like much... That's one of the reasons that I didn't think my peanut plants weren't doing anything when I grew them for the first time last year... It just looks like the plant is growing a bunch of long dried out roots.... Ahhh.. I'm understanding now, that's what you ment by stem...

• mommycool3
    9 years ago

I also have the same problem with my peanut plants. I am in Greece and a first time planter. Never seen a peanut plant before and quite amazed with this tiny beautiful flowers. The first thing I do in the morning is to check them but disappointed to see them wilted and fallen to the ground. I water them every other day but afraid that the sun scorched them. I have hilled my plants and laid mulch all around each one of them but the pegs don't seem to bury themselves. Is it ok if I just covered them myself with soil?

• wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana
    9 years ago

If you hill some dirt to the pegs, you can likely speed up the pods starting to grow...important to speed up things here.

• mommycool3
    9 years ago

Hello Mav72 in your post of Sun, Jun 22, 14 at 16:07--- did you finally harvest peanuts? I am experiencing the same thing as PdOxGard and his pictures are just like taken from my own plants. I water them manually as I have not installed irrigation lines. Could that be washing out or hurting the flowers that cause them to wilt? Besides my plants are not getting tall but just running here and there... Having a hard time hilling them... Will appreciate any encouraging comments.......

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor