Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nvrnugh

Live and Learning

Vanessa 8a
9 years ago

This is technically my second garden though my first wasn't much of one as I lived in a trailer. I did what I could there as I was getting back on my feet. Well two years ago I bought a house ï I saw the space you are going to see and I thought I would give it a try. I amended the soil with a few things as I was just giving it a go. I do have a yard but my dog Barley gets the lion�s share of what there is for him. I am quite the novice as you will see immediately mistakes ï but I just love it. I wish I had started much, much younger but here I am.
I�ve never planted anything other than the tomatoes and hot peppers so everything else was new. I wish I could tell you I researched everything I bought but ummm nope. I was at a small local owned nursery and just picked stuff up without any planning. Let that one go if you will as I won�t be doing that again. Taking that initial mistake and building on it yeap I get it spacing was WAY off!
Things look healthy and as I can tell so far so good ï Why on earth am I posting then well it�s a bit of advice if you have any for me and bit of how am I doing with my first real try out?

Comments (10)

• Vanessa 8a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Pepper really took quite some time to get anything going.

• Vanessa 8a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Best growing tomatoes of the bunch.

• Vanessa 8a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

More madders starting to do a little something, something.

• Vanessa 8a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Going to be putting something around them this coming week. Yeah NO clue they would get so big. I know reading its fundamental :)

• Vanessa 8a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My attempt at a corral lol.

• Vanessa 8a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

An last but not least the very slowing growing eggplant.

• emmers_m
    9 years ago

Hi, nvrnugh!

All your veggies look really robust and healthy - great job! Although I might suggest getting the cow out of the tomato patch before she eats everything :)

(Don't feel bad that you didn't get any responses - this forum tries to keep unanswered threads at the top of the list so everyone sees them, but they recently added the ability to upload pictures and limited it to one picture per post, so people have been posting to their own threads to add pictures and the threads slide down the list. Poor software design :) )

The one piece of advice I have for you is to keep an eye out for the Squash Vine Borer. The adult is a large orange and black moth that to me looked like a wasp when I first saw it. Check around the base of your squashes for frass that looks like wet sawdust, and watch out for sudden wilting of the plant or a part of it. You can search the forum for SVB for more details.

Please keep us updated, and I'd like to know what varieties you're growing and if you've harvested anything yet! (It looks like a squash might be almost ready?)

~emmers

• loribee2
    9 years ago

Congrats on your new house! Looks to me like you're doing great and you've got the absolute most important thing a gardener needs to be successful: Patience and determination.

Research is good, but if you don't get too broken up over failures, the best research is to do what you're doing and just try stuff. Your plants look good, so obviously, you've got good instincts.

• Kevin Reilly
    9 years ago

Yes, everything is looking good.... you'll be enjoying the fruits of your labor soon ;)

• Vanessa 8a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

emmers - Thanks for the info as I didn't know. I've been on here for years but mostly as a searcher/lurker.

eheheh the animals are to scare away the bad and keep em company. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Funny most miss them but once they see one they can't stop trying to find them all.

In order of the pics left to right I have:
    Peppers:
    The Big Early
    Purple Beauty Sweet
    Golden California Wonder Sweet
    Red Chili Hot
    Tomatoes:
    Sugary
    Patio
    La Roma
    Golden Jubilee
    Squash:
    Yellow Straight Neck
    Hybrid Cucumber
    Zucchini
    and last Black Beauty Egg Plant

WOW! I never knew about SVB and I haven't seen any signs and now I will keep a look out. Thanks so much for the advise.

I just pick one Yellow and Zucchini yesterday but that's it so far.

loribee2 - Thank you and I certainly don't mind trail and error :) that's life after all.

melikeeatplants - Thanks! I can't wait!!