Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
strawberries weed -wacked down to ground

Posted by maggie_berry z6CT (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 10, 12 at 7:55

After three years of tending my strawberry patch, my brother in law has weed-whacked them to the ground. Will they come back next year with not a single leaf on them?
They were June bearing and everbearing. I am so sick...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: strawberries weed -wacked down to ground

That's really unfortunate. One time somebody weed-wacked my thriving sweet-potato patch so I know how you feel. People should have to pass a plant-identification test before being licensed to operate the dam things.

They will no doubt re-leaf as best they can but they are going to lose almost all of their energy input for this year so there will be no increase. In fall or spring I would get some more plants and start a new patch, unless there is an amazing rebound, in which case pull out the new 'spiders' and make a new patch with them.

o

It depends on what you mean by "whacked to the ground" If the crown is intact, no problem, they will be fine. In fact, commercial growers and even home gardeners often mow the foliage after the fruiting season is over as a preliminary to bed renewal and to help remove diseased foliage. If they do come back and treat them well, water, fertilize, control diseases, they will be just as vigorous as ever next year.

But, if he literally went to ground level and took out the crowns, they may not come back.

I guess you'll know in a matter of days or a couple of weeks tops.

o

He was probably renovating the bed. I've used the wacker for this. Rake out the dead foliage and watch for the crowns to sprout new leaves. Dig out any plants that are dead. It looks awful at first, but the plants usually revive quickly.

o

• Posted by corrine1 7b Pacific Northwest (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 10, 12 at 11:35

Be sure to keep them moist. Give them some compost as mulch and it will also give them the boost they need to regrow leaves. Deer have done it to our everbearing plants many times and they recover. No dead plants in the bed at all.

o

Yep, for sure on the extra nutrition. Compost or manure tea would be good.

o

You all are great! I don't see any signs of the plants. But, I have time and compost manure so ... The wait begins...
Thank You all again,
Maggie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here