Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fairytale Pumpkin//Ever Grown?

Posted by Stellabee Georgia (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 7, 12 at 8:00

If anyone in the Southeast (especially those who deal with red clay) has grown a Fairytale Pumpkin, I would love to know how this heirloom varietal did in your garden. I appreciate that they are so pretty and edible too, so please advise if you have first hand experience growing them.

Thank You!

Stellabee

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fairytale Pumpkin//Ever Grown?

Well, I'm in Michigan, but I'll answer. Yes, a number of times. They are fun to grow, and nice for fall displays. I found the flesh quality good, not too stringy, decent orange color, but I've always found them to be extremely watery, not a problem, just requires a lot of straining and pressing when preparing them for use.

o

Hey Denninmi,
Thanks for the input, even if you're not from 'round these here parts;-)
By the way, does the soil in your area of Michigan have clay? If not, what is it like (maybe I can create something similar to grow the pumpkins in...)?
StellaBee

o

Never grown Fairytale. I have grown Cinderella before,a couple times. Nice looking pumpkin. I never got to eat mine last year because they fell victim to children picking and smashing. Grrrr.

o

OK, I'm not from the Southeast either. ;-) My area has heavy soil with a high clay content. Fertile & hard to work in Spring, but probably not the same as the red clay in your area. Mine is high pH (around 8.0) due to limestone bedrock.

The pumpkin I've most often heard described as the "fairytale pumpkin" is the French variety "Rouge Vif D'Etampes". I suspect the same variety is probably marketed under several different names. Given Denninmi's description of its table quality, I'm guessing his was the same one, or very similar.

Mine got fairly large, 15-20 pounds or so. They turn a deep orange-red when ripe. Very pretty, but I like my squash fine-grained, dry and tasty - and it was none of the above. You might be able to process it, but there's probably 100 squashes I would rather eat, so I won't grow it again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here