Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Artichokes in fall?

Posted by drippy 7bAL (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 11, 12 at 8:08

My spring seeding of artichokes failed, and I would like to try again. I live in zone 7A, N. Alabama. Artichokes should be perennial here. I am wondering if I can start them in the fall? Most of what I've seen suggests starting them in the spring - has anyone out there started them in the fall?

Thanks in advance,

Kim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Artichokes in fall?

Well, if they survive your winters, I don't know any reason why you couldn't plant them in early fall, as long as they have enough time to get established. I guess the only question is whether they would be big enough to bloom the next year, of it it would take yet a second summer of growth, resulting in production 18 months from the time of planting.

One thing I think you could do is perhaps start them in June or early July, grow them in pots and baby them, so that you have really large transplants to put out in September. That would probably result in production in the spring of 2013, but would of course be more work, having to tend them through a hot summer.

o
RE: Artichokes in fall?

Well, if they survive your winters, I don't know any reason why you couldn't plant them in early fall, as long as they have enough time to get established. I guess the only question is whether they would be big enough to bloom the next year, of it it would take yet a second summer of growth, resulting in production 18 months from the time of planting.

One thing I think you could do is perhaps start them in June or early July, grow them in pots and baby them, so that you have really large transplants to put out in September. That would probably result in production in the spring of 2013, but would of course be more work, having to tend them through a hot summer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here