Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gratefuled

Flying saucer squash harvest size?

gratefuled
16 years ago

They've landed...question is, how large should I let these little close-encounter suckers get to be, for best flavor? I've googled them up and down, back and forth, and can't find a recommended harvest size.

Thanks...

Ed

Comments (7)

• paveggie
    16 years ago

You can harvest anytime 'til the skin isn't tender enough to pierce with a fingernail. I found the smaller the better seemed best for these. Three to four inches across isn't bad!

• hunter_tx
    16 years ago

I usually pick them at about three inches diameter.
    Do either of you have a good recipe for cooking them besides steaming? They are rather plain compared to other varieties of squash.
    Mrs H

• Violet_Z6
    16 years ago

As with most vegetables, you can harvest any time you feel they're large enough to eat and are often more palatable in terms of texture and flavor when younger. I'd harvest at 4-6 wide. The more frequently you harvest, the more yield from the plant overall.

By the way, if I'm assuming correctly, you are referring to what is commonly called the "Patty Pan Squash".

{{gwi:63937}}

{{gwi:63938}}

• newtxan
    16 years ago

I keep seeing pictures of piles of the little ones, but we've got two plants that only give us a few a week so far. We've been picking them as big as 5-6 inches and they taste pretty good.

Last weekend we took three of those big ones, steamed them for a few minutes, scooped out the insides, mixed that with some cooked garlic and onion, salt, pepper, oregano and cheese, and stuffed it back inside the shells. Then we put a bit of cheese on top of each one and baked them until the tops were brown and bubbly. Turned out great.

• gratefuled
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I was thinking I'd slice them in half across the radius (like splitting an Oreo) and grill them.

Ed

• cambse
    16 years ago

Here's a recipe that I like.

Summer Squash Medley

INGREDIENTS

* 2 tablespoons olive oil
    * 1 yellow onion, sliced
    * 4 cloves garlic, minced
    * 1/2 cup vegetable broth or white wine
    * 1 ear corn, kernels cut from cob
    * 2 cups sliced yellow squash
    * 2 cups sliced zucchini
    * 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
    * 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil or to taste
    * 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano or to taste
    * 2 tablespoons butter
    * salt and pepper to taste
    * 2 tomatoes, chopped, added at the end

DIRECTIONS

1. Heat the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat, and cook the onion and garlic until slightly tender. Mix in the vegetable broth and corn kernels, and cook until heated through. Mix in the squash and zucchini. Cover, and continue cooking 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until squash and zucchini are tender. Stir in fresh tomato.
    2. Mix the parsley, basil, oregano and butter into the skillet with the squash. Season with salt and pepper. Cook and stir until butter is melted, and serve hot.

May be served with sausage and over rice to make an entire meal.

Go Squash!

• jimster
    16 years ago

I've never grown these. I'm very fond of crookneck squash.

What are the good attributes of patty pans? How do they compare with other summer squashes for flavor and susceptibility to SVB and powdery mildew?

Jim

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner