Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Composting question

Posted by mccoml none (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 11, 12 at 8:46

So I just started my first compost pile, although growing up my family always did, but I guess I never paid attention to the details. We just moved into our house at the beginning of the year. For the compost foundation I raked up around a huge oak tree that probably had several years worth of leaves already composting beneath it. I'm sure some of this stuff was good to go as I got that rich earth smell from the deepest layers as I went. I've continued to add to this with grass clippings and kitchen waste, and stir regularly. The compost pile is just sitting out in a mostly shaded area, but when I turn it I get that good earthy smell. I know not all of its composted because I keep adding scraps, but how do I get out the compost that is? Should I stop adding scraps until it's done, then start another one? Also, I think I used some Chinese tallow leaves in a layer of about 3 inches underneath my raised vegetable garden, and so far I haven't noticed any adverse affects, should I be worried? My plants are pretty large and the roots are definitely down that far, but maybe the leaves aren't decayed enough to affect them yet.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Composting question

• Posted by lonmower zone8 Western Oregon (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 11, 12 at 9:49

Go to the Soil Compost Mulch forum on this website and ask your questions. There are people there who have been composting for centuries and are standing by to answer your call

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to Compost Forum

o

Composting Forum

They have a great set of FAQs there that cover all the how-to issues.

Since you asked about the Chinese Tallow I assume you didn't know when you used them that it is considered a toxic plant? The berries and sap contain toxins that are poisonous and the leaves shed growth inhibitors for other plants as they decay?

Unfortunately there isn't much you can do about it now but hope for the best. Eventually they will decay but in the mean time I don't know of any studies other than the one linked below that have been done regarding the toxicity absorption rates but this paper does discuss the medicinal uses so does provide some insight.

Hope this helps.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Chinese Tallow Management Plan for Florida

o

Yes, I didn't know that it was tallow, although I should have. We have so many invasives in Florida it's hard to keep track of them. It was a small tree so I don't think a lot of the leaves were from it, but I mixed it in with leaves from the oak tree. The Tallow's actually been wonderful at attracting bees, I literally got hordes of them when it was pollenating, although now that it isn't anymore I'm not getting very many. I know family members that live 15 minutes from me that don't grow OP plants because they can't get bees.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here