Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mdy113

Leaves starting to turn yellow

mdy113
10 years ago

So i am a new gardner trying vegtables (grew some peppers last year). i planted tomato, cucumber, hot and sweet peppers, in my outdoor garden about 3 weeks ago (transplanted seedlings from nursery). They started growing great (especially tomato, which more than doubled in size and i can see fruit slowly starting).
However this past week east coast was hit with ton of rain. my pepper plants (jumbo jalapeno and orange bells) have slowly gotten yellowish to light green leaves. and my cucumber plant also seemed to slow its growth. Is this cause for concern of over watering from tons of rain? will they bounce back to darker green color? i have had no issues thus far until this week. Have been watering regularly, good drainage, and using 8-4-4 vegetable plant food in liquid form every 7-10 days as recommended. doesnt seem like pest issues either upon examination. any thoughts or help would be appreciated.

Comments (5)

• michelliot
    10 years ago

Hi Mdy,

All that can be recommended is just sit tight with the rest of us and hope this precipitation will stop relatively soon. If you haven't read my earlier post about the early rain, do so, and realize that your not alone in this dilemma. Nothing we can do physically at this point short of constructing a retractable roof over our gardens.

Fungi and other diseases, if they do occur, will have to be dealt with later.

Best of luck,
    elliot

This post was edited by michelliot on Fri, Jun 14, 13 at 9:34

• seysonn
    10 years ago

DARK green often means TOO MUCH nitrogen, as opposed to yello-green for shortage of nitrogen. So you really do not wand DARK green. Plants in that color often concentrate on growing foliage and less flowers/fruits.

You have already mentioned the cause for yellowing some of plants: TOO MUCH RAING, leaching out the nutrients ESPECIALLY nitrogen which is water soluble. So then too much watering, too much rain is partly the cause for yellowing.

NOTE about color of leaves: Some plants have naturally very light green color. Like some peppers, eg banana peppers. It is the same with tomatoes and many garden veggies.

• mdy113
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks guys. I guess I will be patient and wait it out and see what happens. It was the what seems to be slow/stop in growth and light/green yellowish turning of the plants that concerned me. I'll basically let the soil dry out well from the rains and then add some more plant food on next watering. Hope nitrogen will bring back some of the color it had. Hopefully the peppers and cucumbers regain some of their color and continue to grow. The grape tomatoes only one who seems to still be growing at great pace.

• mdy113
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks guys. I guess I will be patient and wait it out and see what happens. It was the what seems to be slow/stop in growth and light/green yellowish turning of the plants that concerned me. I'll basically let the soil dry out well from the rains and then add some more plant food on next watering. Hope nitrogen will bring back some of the color it had. Hopefully the peppers and cucumbers regain some of their color and continue to grow. The grape tomatoes only one who seems to still be growing at great pace.

• mdy113
    Original Author
    10 years ago