Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fall vs spring soil amending

Posted by sweetwilliam89 none (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 15, 11 at 8:57

This may seem a bit early to ask, I was wondering if there's an advantage to amending the soil at the end of the year in late fall or wait until early spring and amend at the first of the year? If I amend the soil in spring how long do I need to wait until planting?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fall vs spring soil amending

• Posted by glib 5.5 (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 15, 11 at 10:30

What are you amending with?

o

• Posted by exmar 6 SE Ohio (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 15, 11 at 10:53

IMHO, that's like asking "when's a good time to go fishing?" NOW!! :-)

Possible exception would be if the soil amendment is a chemical fertilize on the side of a hill which will then wander away over the winter.

The sooner you get "good stuff" in your soil the sooner it can start "amending."

Ev

o

Agree that it all depends on what you mean by 'amending' - what with?

Lots of good compost in both the fall AND the spring is ideal so it isn't spring or fall, it is both as well as throughout the year as a top dressing.

If it is fresh manure you are adding then fall, not spring is best. If it is composted well-aged manure then spring 2-4 weeks before planting. If you are talking about chemical fertilizers then most of the labels I have read say things like 2 weeks prior to planting and use as side-dressing through out the season.

So more details are needed to really answer your question.

Dave

o

If one is going to do deeper soil amending [affecting the structure and texture] in heavier soils, I suggest fall when the soil is not likely to be soggy.

o

I prefer fall, so we can heap high right on the empty beds rather than make a separate pile to compost & spread in spring. Any extra come spring can go on other beds that had plants overwintering.

Plus in fall there is less demand for the horse manure nearby & I can get all we have energy to haul.

A few years ago started using burlap over the manure to keep moist & loose until planting. Prevents weeds from blowing in & sprouting up plus so easy to turn under if desired or plant right in it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here