Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gdnh

Slugs went to rehab no longer interested

gdnh
13 years ago

First nite caught ten fat slugs after putting out beer, next night two, third night no slugs still aparrent slug damage, what is happening. Losing interest in beer or did I kill them all and someone else is chomping on my basil, Kale and peppers?

Comments (20)

• marlingardener
    13 years ago

It's really difficult to do the 12-step rehab program when you don't have feet! Your slugs are obviously motivated. Perhaps seeing cousin Charley take a long swim in the Miller Light is enough to get you on the wagon.
    You could try mason's sand--it has sharp edges that deters slugs and snails. A circle of the sand around the plants, or in a line on both sides of the row (and don't forget the ends, too!) helps.

• mangledmind
    13 years ago

A copper band also deters slugs, get the banding in the plumbing section, form a circle around plants or around the raised bed. Slugs hate copper

• Donna
    13 years ago

I read once that just a simple ring of copper pennies will work too. Are pennies still made of copper?

• gdnh
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I will try the ring of pennies tonite round my basil seems the cheapest method so far will let you know what happened
    Ruth

• deep___roots
    13 years ago

all my slugs went to heaven...
    Seriously though, although I darn sure have no slugs in my veggies & flowers, what gets me is I find them on my cactus collection. I mean you have got to be kidding. All of these went to heaven too.

• spaghetina
    13 years ago

Interesting. I'd never even thought of pennies! I wonder if it makes any difference that they're only thinly copper plated. Probably not, since copper slug tape is super thin also. I'm going to have to give that a shot too!

• jadeforrest
    13 years ago

What a great idea about the pennies! Although my daughter or raccoons or something may move them. I'll give it a shot.

Last year, I used scissors every morning. I got 106 of them in one morning. They're still tons of them to go around. They like my plentiful mulch and wet climate here in Oregon.

• cyrus_gardner
    13 years ago

There are two products that will get rid if slugs/snails. one is said to be organic(SLUGO) and the other is nonorganic.
    The former is TOO expensive, the latter(sold at HD) is reasonably priced.I bought it,
    used it and found dead snail all around my okra plants.It remains effective even
    after rain. My okras are growing now and have fruits, after using about $5 bucks
    worth of the stuff. I shoul have used it sooner.
    ANOTHER SOLUTION:
    IF it is not raining, spread a pices of 3" by 3" newspaper around the plant(with a cut to fit).
    sprinkle some EPSON SALT on it. Epson salt actually is not harmful to plants and maybe benefitial in small amounts.
    But you can remove it before rain or watering and put it back afterwards. SLUGS BE GONE DEAD.
    But, with rain and thunder showers everyday It was just too much work for me so I used the commercial stuff.

• noki
    13 years ago

Put out wine coolers for the female slugs

• whatsthepoint
    13 years ago

Mix up 1/4 Ammonia, 3/4 water and a splash of dish soap. Spray the plant and all around it.

I put mine in a garden spray bottle and spray either late nights or early mornings. Once you spray the slug with that they're foaming. I usually just spray the whole garden.

• gdnh
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I am wondering about a moat, a plant in a large pot with a large dish full of water under it. Can slugs swim? If not this would work.

• raisemybeds
    13 years ago

This seemed to help me with slugs on my collards: changed the mulch. I had shredded up the dead stalks of last years Jerusalem Artichoke plants and used the dry straw-like "mulch" in the bed where I grow collards. Well, I was reading that slugs love straw, so I spread grass clippings and shredded leaves thickly on top of the original mulch, and the destruction of my collards abated. They are now nicely recovered and growing again. Not sure why this worked out so well, but FWIW it might help someone else.

• spaghetina
    13 years ago

Put out wine coolers for the female slugs

Bwahaha! That made me snort out loud!

• jeanwedding. zone 6
    13 years ago

I got the green plastic" slug saloons" years ago. mostly had flowers then. Stored them in tool shed for quite a while. Now into veggie gardening. So got them back out. A neighbor lady gave me some old expired canned beer. I have about 18 saloons, I also have some bait I bought or came with the saloons
    When i put them out last week above the mulch in my veggie garden. I only found say 5 small drowned slugs. The rest were above the beer. But what was funny is that I found at least two or three" Slug Saloons with say 3 or four drunken flies. LOL. Time I checked them all out the sun was higher.

• Solarbeez
    10 years ago

In the spring when I transplant all my tender little cabbages and broccoli seedlings, I go out with a headlamp, plastic groves, and a cup. To my surprise I found a huge slug that wouldn't fit in the cup.
    http://solarbeez.com/2012/04/02/slug-control/

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Yeah. Hunting them is the most effective way. But I use sharp sticks or toothpicks and just nail them to the ground. . They can't go anywhere anymore.

• Solarbeez
    10 years ago

A picture of the big slug that wouldn't fit in the cup...

• Charlie
    10 years ago

According to my wife, I am one of the world's biggest slugs. Therefore, I have read your solutions to slug infestations with interest. So, to sum up: Many of you believe that the slugs can be bought by the spread of precious metal. Let me tell you that most of us slugs avoid being bribed by precious metal (or was that the point?). Many of you encourage the slugs to drink, not much better than the local drug pushers. As you can tell by our wandering trails, slugs have enough problem walking a straight line without resorting to beer drinking! Others want to just run them down and kill them. Can't we just all get along?

• ceth_k
    10 years ago

OMG LOL! This thread is so funny!

• hobbiest
    10 years ago

Threw a free beer party for the locals.

They all wound up in the drunk tank.

:)