Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dunningjd

Aquarium to Greenhouse?

Dunning
9 years ago

All:

Our 29? gallon bowfront aquarium cracked on the bottom and has now been officially relieved of its fish-holding responsibilities and has been transferred to garden duty. Of course, I'm in Central Florida where the need for a greenhouseof any size may be redundant, but I'd love to hear suggestions on what I could do with it.

If I start seeds in it, what would I need to do/buy? Do I need to change the type of light? What would be good ones to start in there and what type of year. My seeds to date have all started right in the above-ground garden, with moderately good success but I'd like to take it to the next level, if a broken down fish tank can help with such a goal :).

JD

Comments (4)

• loribee2
    9 years ago

I wouldn't do seeds unless you have a way to bring the seedlings close to the light. They need to be no more than a couple inches from the bulbs. Given that, I'm not sure what value you're getting by putting them in a glass container. They need air circulation, which they wouldn't get in there, and it may end up too hot.

There is a forum called "Garden Junk". Some seriously creative people over there who might give you some ideas on what you can do with it (though you'll no doubt get one or two telling to you plant a fairy garden in it, LOL)

• theforgottenone1013 (SE MI zone 5b/6a)
    9 years ago

Personally, I'd use it as a terrarium for houseplants (after repairing the crack(s) first) rather than a greenhouse for vegetables.

As loribee2 said, veggies need a high amount of light. When people use flourescent lights they keep the bulbs only 1-2 inches away from the top of the plants. If the bulbs are any higher it leads to "leggy" plants. Good air circulation is a must to prevent damping off (fungus) problems. And it seems like watering the plants would be a bit of a pain. Plus, it just doesn't seem big enough to start many plants to me.

Rodney

• Malcolm Young
    3 years ago

Just buy a new fish tank , that's it, If u have money of course.

• Fox Rooney
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

You always need to update your aquarium, always. I do this every few years. And just recently I changed it to a new huge aquarium, and bought more fish so that everything was beautiful. But recently I read about the fact that there are worms that can live under water, in my opinion, I read here arcreef.com . So, I called a friend and immediately said that I want myself an exotic worm, so that it lives near my fish and pleases the eyes. He did so and now I admire the beautiful view.