Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yessabub

Corn and green beans in cold weather

Yessabub
9 years ago

So I planted my corn and green beans a few days ago and literally the day after the weather got crappy (cold cloudy and rainy) and has been staying in the 50's will this just delay the germination of my seeds or am I gonna have to replant? It's gonna finally start going back up to the 70's today but I was just wondering what that kind of weather has on newly planted seeds?

Comments (3)

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Effect of weather on newly planted seeds? Essentially none. It is soil temps that determine germination.

Dave

• noki
    9 years ago

The only worry I would think is if the soil is both cool and soggy... beans dislike that. One day or two with summer ahead... I wouldn't worry much about it.

• loribee2
    9 years ago

Like Noki said, I'd only worry about seeds rotting in soil that's too wet for too long, but beans and corn are on the larger side and wouldn't do that quickly.

Though...even as I type that, I'm reminded of the cherry tomatoes that drop on the soil in the summer, somehow last all the way through fall, winter and spring and come up as volunteers the next year. So maybe rotting seeds are more a myth than a reality....

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?