Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laceyvail

It did it again!!!!!!!

laceyvail 6A, WV
9 years ago

Whatever got into my newly fenced garden and tore up the rows several weeks ago, did it last night again. This time I'm quite sure it must have climbed the fence--do skunks climb? There are no holes under the fence larger than what a mouse or a weasel could have gotten through, and it didn't dig under.

Whatever it is, God bless the critter for just digging up the paths. I hope it sticks to its modus operandi!!

Comments (10)

• sweetquietplace
    9 years ago

I don't know about skunks, but raccoons sure can climb. They dig for worms and grubs in my garden and even turn big rocks over to get at what's under them. I've had ground hogs climb my peach trees and drop the pits on me while I'm standing there shaking my fist at them.

• catherinet
    9 years ago

What is your fence like? Weasels can cause problems with chickens, but I don't know if they are veggie garden diggers.
    Is it actually dug up or is it mole tunnels?

• theforgottenone1013 (SE MI zone 5b/6a)
    9 years ago

lol Sorry, I haven't got a new critter to suggest. I was sure (although I didn't say anything), as was others and yourself, that the culprit was a skunk.

To enlighten those who either haven't read or have forgotten, I've linked your original post. It's interesting reading to say the least.

Rodney

Here is a link that might be useful: I've never seen anything like it!!!!

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok, I think I'm going for skunk. The guy who helps me with the garden found a couple of spots under the veggie garden gates that he says a skunk could have gotten through. I stopped them up with rocks. And when I looked around the entire garden, I found that it had dug heavily in many of the ornamental beds. I'm just glad it didn't dig in the veggie beds and I'm hoping the rocks work. Damn, almost 50 years without a garden fence and then all these attacks after I finally have one built.

• Molex 7a NYC
    9 years ago

get a havaheart trap or motion activated sprinkler

• sunnibel7 Md 7
    9 years ago

If it's a skunk, I'm not sure that a havahart is the way to go... How will you remove the critter without getting sprayed? Maybe some sort of grub control would be a long-term solution? But maybe not, I don't know enough about skunks except to know that they like catfood.

• glib
    9 years ago

The way to remove a skunk without spray is to cover the havahart with a blanket. To approach the trap, spread the blanket in front of you to hide yourself and walk slowly until you are in a position to drop it on the cage. I can not guarantee this will work with skunks, but it works very well with raccoons. They are then calm and you do not run the risk of having a loose raccoon in the car while driving down the highway.

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well i certainly can't see myself putting a skunk in a havahart trap in a car and tootling off down the road with it. Someone is coming Sunday to move the single strand electric ribbon I used to use down to 6 inches above the ground. That should stop anything except squirrels who leap onto the posts. I hope. We'll see.

• glib
    9 years ago

In the case of the skunk, you remove it to a 55 gallon drum, filled with water. Lower it back side first so it sprays in the water.

• donnaz5
    9 years ago

Have you dug around where the animal did? If you do, and find seeds or nuts, then it could be a sqiurrel or chipmonk. They just love the fresh dirt in my garden between the rows.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio