Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Beets - when to harvest?

Posted by pam225 6 - Eastern PA (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 26, 08 at 9:53

This is my first year at trying to grow massive amounts of beets - well, at least 4 rows of beets.

My seeds went in on or about May 5. The varieties that I have are Detroit Dark Red, Morse's Strain (supposed to grow to 3" in diameter and say 60 days to harvest) and organic Yellow Intermediate Mangel Heirloom (grow 2"-8" roots harvest in 65-70 days).

My garden is in raised beds that are 8'x4' in diameter (obviously the beets only take up a portion of this!) and are filled with the following: layers of newspaper at the bottom, aged horse manure (free from Fairmount Park), UCGs from Starbucks, grass clippings from the first cutting (it was long!), and then compost (again free from Fairmount Park). Interspersed is the kitchen veggie clippings and some egg shells (more clippings than egg shells). My mix seems to be working for all of my veggies since everything is thriving, tons of green tomatoes and I have already harvested zuchini, my lettuce and spinach were awesome, already have peppers growing.

So I go out this morning with my coffee to check my plants, water if necessary, etc. I notice that some of my beets (both the red and the yellow) are showing the beet tops just above ground. Some are just showing, some are about a 1/4" above. The largest diameter showing (from what I can see) is about 3/4". The greens still look awesome, and everything looks okay and not dying.

My questions are what to do with the ones showing? (1) do I leave them alone, (2) do I throw more compost around them to cover them up, or (3) do I harvest them?

I guess my concern is that I used ONLY compost, which again seems to be doing wonders for my garden, but I'm wondering if it's settling and I just need to add more.

Thanks in advance,

Pam
Havertown, PA

(I've attched a picture of my beets, although you can't see the ones above ground, you can see where they are planted, etc.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Pictures of my beets

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Beets - when to harvest?

• Posted by billv z6 WVA (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 26, 08 at 10:30

I have picked beets when they are nearly half out of the ground and they seemed fine to me - cooked or pickled (sliced). Preserving them whole is the only reason I would have for pulling them small.

o

I do believe if you intend to cook or can them whole, then small diameter is what you shoot for. I understand that when smaller (2"or so) they are more tender and as they get larger you run the risk of beets that are fiberous (ie: tough, leathery). I have harvested beets up to 3-4" w/o them being fiberous, but they definitely were more tough than the younger, tender 2"-ers. Just a matter of preference and intended use perhaps.

o

• Posted by pam225 6 - Eastern PA (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 26, 08 at 10:39

Thanks for the insight! I will let them go a little longer I think and then pull them. For storing them I think I will be pickling some and cooking some and freezing (but I don't think I'm going to have all that many left - my 15 year old likes them). Can anyone direct me on how to pickle them?

One more question...can I sow them again later this summer for a fall/winter crop? When do I want to do this?

Thanks!!

Pam

o

No, you don't need to cover them. If you planted in early May and they are about that size, sounds about normal to me. You can always add more compost or fertilizer, it certainly won't hurt them.

As said above, harvest beets sometime between the size of a golf ball and the size of a tennis ball/baseball. The smaller they are, the lower the total yield, but the higher the quality. For the mangels, be sure to harvest those before they get much bigger than about 3 inches in diameter, or they will get quite tough, in my experience.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here