Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Preventing lettuce from bolting

Posted by howelbama 7 NJ (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 17, 14 at 9:55

So, we are looking at 90+ degrees and high humidity over the next three days here.

I set up misters on my lettuce beds and have them timed to come on three times for 25 minutes a shot during the peak heat hours of the day, in the hopes of keeping them cool(er).

They are very densely planted, so the soil is well shaded from the foliage.

Do you think this will help prevent them from bolting?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Preventing lettuce from bolting

• Posted by digdirt 6b-7a North AR (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 17, 14 at 13:02

You can always hope but the odds aren't in your favor IME. Better cooling effect is achieved by erecting a heavy shade shelter 3-4 feet over the bed that will allow the soil to cool somewhat. Even then you need a good 20 degrees of cooling and that can be almost impossible to get.

But if you can make it work please be sure to let us know.

Dave

o

I will report back with my results.

I may throw a shade over them tonight as well, the heat is supposed to start fading by Friday.

I'll probably harvest a bunch tonight as well, just in case...

o

Water on the leaves during the heat of the day can cause scorch if not shaded, so be careful. It might be safer to flood the soil under the leaves if that is practical. It's always tricky growing lettuce during the summer as you already know.

Here is a link that might be useful: Alan Chadwick

o

IME, the water on the leaves during the day causing scorch/burn is an old wives tale...

o

If possible, i'd run the misters every peak hour for just a few minutes. This way it's cooling without risking stem rot from overwatering.
Also, if you can bang some stakes in to keep some shade cloth (or a sheet, etc) over them, but not on them, it'll help quite a bit.
Good luck!

Mark

o

I've always found that cold water on the root zone, not the leaves, is most effective. Also that close planting encourages bolting, and giving each plant head space tends to keep it - as well as giving more direct access to the root zone.

o

Shade if you can...and yes, very hot the next few days.
I plant very thick, especially when the hot weather is coming...though this is a bit early for us...NY/NJ....
My salad beds are shaded 50%. I still may have trouble with the spring mix but i already have a hot summer mix i've been cutting...
I have salad all summer by planting a heat tolerant blend and shade...don't have the water pressure for misting but would if i could. (gravity spring fed)

We will never loose the water/burn/magnifier myth...
I've had a few mid day showers this spring with the sun shinning...no harm

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here