Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amandajessop

need help-sunken tan/white patches on cucumber/squash leaves

AmandaJessop
10 years ago

Hello,

I am new to gardening and have done much research on the web on my cucumber and squash leaves that have sunken white/tan blotches on them. It almost seems like in some areas they are fried ( which led me to think sun scalding?) but then some other pictures made me think angular leaf spot. PLEASE HELP! I live in Houston Texas where the humidity is high and the temp has been upper 90's even past 100. The picture I posted is a leaf of my squash plant. I have a 4 x8 raised box garden. THANKS!

Amanda

Comments (5)

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

It isn't ALS but what and how often have you been feeding them? Brown fried edges and the interveinal discoloration looks like salt burn to me. Plus the color is very dark but that could be just the photo color.

It isn't CMV or PM either. Sunscald/windburn is a slim possibility IMO but it is an unusual pattern if that is it. And that wouldn't explain the edges of the other leaves. Any sign of pests or fungal spores on the underside of the leaves?

Dave

• AmandaJessop
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Dave,

Thanks for responding. What exactly to fungal spores look like? I did just go look at the underside, and did not see anything that stood out ( just the discoloration from the top) the leaves are extremely dry and brittle and the silver/tan parts at the edge are starting to break off. I see that it has spread even more to other leaves today. I have attached a picture of what it looks like on my cucumber plant ( the first picture was my squash plant). Do you suggest a fungicide to be safe?

Thanks for your help!

Amanda

• AmandaJessop
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh and to answer your question I have been feeding them miracle grow once a week.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Oh and to answer your question I have been feeding them miracle grow once a week.

That's what I suspected and that is where all the salt damage is coming from.

No garden vegetable requires weekly feeding unless it is grown in a container and then only in a well diluted form.

And no garden vegetable with the exception of leafy greens like lettuce/chard/spinach requires such high dose nitrogen feeding, much less on a weekly basis.

MG and fertilizers like it are ok when used properly. When used excessively the massive amounts of salts they contain build up on the leaves and in the soil. The symptoms on the plants are excessively dark green leaves, burned crispy leaf edges and bleached inter-veinal patches in the leaf tissue.

As the leaf tissue is destroyed then bacteria and fungi move in on the destroyed leaf tissues and that is what the yellow patches in the cuke leaf pic might be. Look on the underside of that leaf. If there are black patches of mold or white fuzzy/furry growths then disease is starting. If not then they are just salt damaged patches that haven't faded to white yet.

Since these plants are apparently in ground, reduce your MG use to no more often than monthly and preferably no more than every 6 weeks and focus on applying it to the soil and root area, not the leaves.

Hope this helps.

Dave.

• AmandaJessop
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Dave thank you so much. Your comments have been very helpful. If I do happen to see mildew or fungi/bacteria infection. ...how should I treat that?

Thanks again.

Amanda