Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wlynnp_tn

Pictures of my Garden Plot...while it still looks healthy

wlynnp_tn
9 years ago

I wanted to post the good pictures, before bugs or disease catch up. :)

Comments (13)

• wlynnp_tn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

different angle.

• mav72
    9 years ago

Nice! Those egg plants really stand out... Bugs and disease have already caught up wit my plants but they aren't doing too bad. Aphids seem to apear over night on my bean plants but I have a handle on that. Leaf miners were driving me nuts so I just finally gave up getting rid of them...

• wlynnp_tn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

the eggplants have done really well this year. last year I lost them to critters. I covered them this year with garden fabric until they were big enough to take a little damage.

• lkzz
    9 years ago

Very nice...
    I know what you mean - "while it still looks healthy". Mine looks pretty nice at the moment too but the 90 degree humid days are here - hopefully (prayerfully) we will fair well and get a decent harvest.
    I love your intermingled flowers...so pretty.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    9 years ago

I would be really happy to have a vegetable garden look that good. Really really nice! I like the way you added some flowers to the center and not just at the edges which is what I always do. And is that a mature Borage? It looks really healthyâ¦.hope it stays that way a long time this year! :-)

• edweather USDA 9a, HZ 9, Sunset 28
    9 years ago

Wow! That's a nice garden. Lots of work, it's not magic I know. Yeah, my tomato plants are flawless at the moment :-) every leaf is perfect. Hopefully we'll have a good growing summer. So far so good here in the northeast.

• wlynnp_tn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks! it is hard work. it's not so much a green thumb as dirty knees and an aching back as I'm sure you all know!
    I like to use companion planting. so herbs, flowers and veggies that "help" each other in some way are in the same bed. I think it works well.
    yeah the borage is a little out of control. I had to cut it back some. the bees love it!

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    9 years ago

wlynnp, I've just increased the size of my vegetable garden, so I have more room to include companion plants. I just added a tiny borage plant to a squash and melon bed, so I was interested to see how big they get.

I know there are a lot of people who don't feel companion planting works, but I at least feel that monocultures are just such a bigger target for pests and make any disease problem worse.

Since you've been doing it for so long, do you have any recommendations for what has worked well in your garden?

• AiliDeSpain
    9 years ago

Beautiful!

• wlynnp_tn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

well, I've actually only been doing it for four years, but I do think it works well for me and it's also aesthetically pleasing.

I've done a lot of reading but the most comprehensive list I've found online is at this site: http://www.ghorganics.com/page2.html

for me marigolds, borage and nasturtiums are must haves. this year I added petunias which so far, I think makes a nice addition. i like to use hyssop too because the bees like it and it's a pretty plant. you can also use the leaves for tea. it has an anise flavor to it.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    9 years ago

Oh, goody, that's what I've added so far too. Marigolds, Borage, Nasturtiums, Petunias, plus... Basil, Cilantro, Dill, Parsley, and Thyme along some of the outside edges of the beds.

Hyssop? Is that the same thing as Agastache? I have Honey Bee Blue Agastache, that I thought was sometimes referred to as Hyssop. I'll use google images to see.

Thanks! And good luck with your garden this year. Hope it's your healthiest one yet!

• wlynnp_tn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

i use basil and mint too.

hyssop grows about 24 inches tall, has purple spike like flowers that smell like licorice.

good luck to you too!

• loribee2
    9 years ago

Gorgeous! Love the mix of edibles and flowers. It all looks to good to eat ;-D

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!