Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Unwanted Mushrooms

Posted by sneed 7 (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 7, 14 at 10:00

I am using Organics Vigoro Organic Gardening Soil from Home Depot in 13" pots to grow my organic veggies from seeds. After 1 month, many of my pots started sprouting mushrooms along with the veggies.
1. How did this happen?
2. Should I pull out the mushrooms or are they good for the growing process?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Unwanted Mushrooms

Not sure what affect they have as far as being able to eat the veggies (they're prob. fine)but mushrooms are AWESOME for growing things! I just had a HUGE explosion of mushrooms amongst my seedlings and in just 1 week the seedlings in the mushroom patch have grown twice as big, while the seedlings that did not have mushroom neighbors have been left way behind. The mushrooms break down the soil and release nutrients! They are good things to have around!

o

Yup, unless you really want them gone, I would leave them alone. Soon they will dry up and become part of the soil.

o

The mushrooms themselves are no issue. However, using garden soil in containers is a huge issue. Garden soil isn't meant for containers (it should mention it on the back of the bag) and it's causing drainage and compaction problems. Combine that with the soil/compost that's in the garden soil and that's why you've got mushrooms popping up.

Rodney

o

That's true. I bought the Garden soil instead of the Potting soil by accident. I'm hoping for the best.

o

In containers, you do not want Garden soil, you do not want potting soil, you should use potting mix.

o

Do they have organic potting mix?

o

Do they have organic potting mix?

Yes, many brands of it available. And the existence of fungus growths like toadstools and such is considered beneficial, normal, desirable.

Trying to garden organically in containers has its own set of problems to overcome since it is totally different from gardening organically in the ground where a soil food web exists to provide nutrients. But the 'mushrooms' isn't one of them.

Dave

o

What type of problems?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here