Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cures for bitter lettuce

Posted by dragonjaze 5a (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 3, 11 at 10:07

This is my first time growing lettuce. I am growing "Salad Bowl" leaf lettuce from Gurney's. From research, I find out that heat and not keeping the lettuce consistently moist are factors for making the lettuce bitter, both of which are likely causes here.

However, I have also read that harvesting the lettuce and keeping it in the fridge for a few days before eating it will lessen the bitter taste. Is this true?

I'm also having a hard time determining when to harvest. My lettuce seems rather small, but I can only compare it to lettuce I see in the grocery stores.

Should I yank all the current lettuce out and replant? Give up on lettuce for this season and try again in the fall?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cures for bitter lettuce

Well, as far as I know, once its bitter, its bitter. If it's mildly bitter, you can always use it as a substitute for greens that are meant to be somewhat bitter, such as frisee or escarole. But, at some point, its just inedible for humans, and you can compost it, feed it to poultry or rabbits, etc.

Really, in the heat of summer, its hard to grow non-bitter lettuce. Personally, I find it better to just grow lettuce in the cooler periods, and stick with things like chard, orach, malabar, and amaranth for the hot weather periods. But, if you want to try, try growing it in afternoon shade in really rich, moist soil, and harvest it as "baby" lettuce.

o

You can make what we call "killed lettuce" with it. Throw it in a pan of hot bacon grease long enough to wilt it. It's not healthy but it isn't bitter anymore!

o

Agreed there is no cure. Too late to replant until it is time for a fall crop.

Dan

o

If is mildly bitter you can make a sweet vinagrette such as balsamic+rasp or strawberry jam+dijon mustard+S and P,yum with some locally grown strawberries...enjoy.

o

Vinagrette with some shallots in it will nicely complement the bitter greens including bitter lettuce. In fact, it works better with bitter greens than bland tasting greens imho.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here