Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
summertime2006

Protecting plants from chipmunks

summertime2006
16 years ago

I have a fence around my garden about 2-3 feet high and the mesh on the fence is no bigger than a dime.

The chipmunks can just jump right up and over the fence and get inside.

Once inside they take plants like tomatoes and watermelons and bite them off at the roots and leave them laying there. So your little transplant is ruined.

I hate chipmunks.

Just wondering if anyone has found a way of keepng these pests out of thier garden?

Thanks

Jim

Comments (23)

• clockwork
    16 years ago

Fences, traps, baits, covers..whatever, they all just SIT THERE. You want elimination or guard? Here ya go.

{{gwi:65817}}
    {{gwi:65818}}

Yer welcome :)

Clock

• lilacs_of_may
    16 years ago

Whoa, Clock! Those are HUGE Maine Coons! How big are they? I have a 17 pounder MC, but I think even he's dwarfed by your guys. Where did you get them?

To get back to the subject, I've had some success with Liquid Fence and Hot Pepper Wax.

• darkcloud
    16 years ago

did you see the chipmunks doing this? i think maybe it was cutworms? i had chipmunks in my garden before they never bothered anything

• Joeray
    16 years ago

Blueberrier1, are you referring to chewing gum when you say Bubbleicious? I have big problems with squirrels digging up everything in my yard, including the garden.

• ole_dawg
    16 years ago

Same question here, Bubble Gum? Also how does it keep them away?

• summertime2006
    Original Author
    16 years ago

What is that a 100 pound cat!

You are pretty clock!

Thanks for the bubble gum tip I might try that one blueberrier!

I can't be 100% sure but there is no damage like this until I start seeing the chipmunks...and the tomato plants that I protect with screens around thier bases never get damaged.

Not only do the chipmunks get into the garden they dig holes all around our house and yard and even got into our car's air filter!

If you are not infested with these pests be glad.

Jim

• blueberrier1
    16 years ago

Hello fellow rodent challenged. The Bubblicious is the bubblegum. The box I buy has packs with five pieces each.

The bubblegum cannot be processed by rodents and thus plugs the sphincter muscle/valve that is between the stomach and the small intestine. Thus, their demise.

The person who told me of this treatment endorsed this particular brand of bubble gum (he was not an employee, etc.) for groundhogs...which were a plague where we lived in MD. I then tried it on the chipmunks which would come up to my back door and help themselves to any plant I was coddling. For groundhogs, I had to regularly supply 'gum, as a huge community lived on the rocky shelves in the adjacent pasture. Some seemed to be rabid.

You'll LOL at the next hint this person suggested: 'feed' the rodents very salty potato chips as it will kill them. I put chips out, and they were gone the next day,(roaming dogs, cats?) but not the chipmunks-so someone needs to do a study.

Each summer, I resorted to the bubblegum, because if one rodent was not a problem, another would take its place. The squirrels one year fell in love with almost ripe peaches and asian pears. Again the bubblegum ended their adventures.

Good luck...I do believe the bubblegum is less expensive than a few other ideas-but it is great that there are so many options.

cella jane

• kubotabx2200
    16 years ago

This year I am trying peanut butter mixed with Plaster of Paris

Rat traps baited with peanut butter also work well.

• lilacs_of_may
    16 years ago

I may try the Bubblicious. The squirrels are stripping my peach tree. Do you chew it up first, or do you just leave a stick out? What about those round gumballs?

No chance this would hurt stray cats, would it? I mean, I don't want the stray cats hurt, so I won't try it if it might.

(Obviously, I'm a cat person.)

• Joeray
    16 years ago

Double Bubble bubble gum does not work for grey squirrels. I've put it out in several places and they ignore it while they dig up my potted plants. I'll have to go back to the peanut butter and plaster of paris. It's more trouble but I know they'll eat it.

• paulster2626
    16 years ago

"The bubblegum cannot be processed by rodents and thus plugs the sphincter muscle/valve that is between the stomach and the small intestine. Thus, their demise. "

This sounds like a horrible way to die. Perhaps growing enough food for both yourself and the animals would be more humane. I hope my garden is left alone, but I do realize that I am growing things in other creatures' habitat. I know people can get pretty obsessed with their gardens, but is the death of any animal worth a few tomatoes or a cucumber?

• Karen Pease
    16 years ago

I've heard that gum thing in many places. I've heard that it's a myth in just as many. It doesn't seem scientifically sound; there's nothing fundamentally different about a rodent's digestive system that would turn gum from harmless to lethal.

• kubotabx2200
    16 years ago

The peanut butter + plaster of Paris however kills rodents and kills them very quickly. I think it is either due to the strongly exothermic reaction overheating their bodies, or the overdose of calcium ions stopping the heart, or both. I do not believe as some have theorized, that it stops up their digestive tract causing some sort of blockage. It works too fast for that. When wet the balls get thicker and rubbery but to not actually harden like cement.

By the way paulster2626 chipmunks in the garden are invading my habitat not the other way around. My garden is my pantry and I feed my family with it during 5 months out of the year. Rodents would take food off my childrens' plates, if I allowed it. Death to all chipmunks.

• skyblue
    16 years ago

I HAVE HEARD THAT YOU GO TO A GARDEN SHOP AND GET COYOTE URINE. IT COMES EITHER FLUID OR SHAKER. SPREAD AROUND AND IITS SUPPOSED TO MAKE THE CRITTERS LEAVE.. IM OFF TOMORROW FOR THE GARDEN SHOP. I REALLY DONT WANT TO HURT THEM/

• sarahlynnwhite
    16 years ago

i have three cats and many chipmunks live in my rock wall behind my garden, funny enough i never find any in my garden, at any point of the day you can find at least one of the cats posted outside one of the many sighting spots of the chipmunks watching and waiting. i never see them, unless they are dead that is. you should really consider getting a cat. many times i can see all three of them, posted at different portions of the wall, it is kinda funny to see cause you just know what they are looking for.

• taliabob_comcast_net
    12 years ago

is the bubblegum pet-safe? I have a dog

• lisa1601
    10 years ago

It is NOT necessary to kill them! There is a rather easy and natural way to keep chipmunks away from your tomato plant. All you need is a pint of water, a clove of minced garlic and 2 teaspoons of cayenne pepper. Keep the mixture lightly-sealed for 48 hours. Spray your tomato plants with it once weekly. Obviously, it's perfectly safe for you to eat the tomatoes when using this. I also use this on my Hibiscus buds and rose buds which, I guess, are also "tasty".
    Reference: www.gardenguides.com

• susanzone5 (NY)
    10 years ago

How do they collect animal urine for sale? They are kept in cages and the urine is collected under the cage. Just fyi.

• zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
    10 years ago

"Once inside they take plants like tomatoes and watermelons and bite them off at the roots and leave them laying there."

That sounds more like voles than chipmunks. The back part of my lot is wooded, so they (and pretty much every rodent indigenous to my area) are a persistent problem for me.

When I first see damage, I put out rat traps baited with pieces of dried apricot. Whether voles or chipmunks, I usually catch them in a day or two. The same bait works on groundhogs, for the live trap. The smell of dried apricots seems to be irresistible to rodents.

My garden provides a large part of my family's diet. Animals are free to wander my garden, as long as they don't eat much. If they abuse that hospitality, their presence will no longer be tolerated. I won't release them elsewhere to become someone else's problem, and I won't use poisons... but if I can't fence them out, they get a quick death.

• Stuffedcritter
    10 years ago

Dump my vacuum around my beds loaded with dog and cat fur. Moth balls in my garage to keep the dirty little buggers out.

• pattypan
    10 years ago

when the chipmunks came the voles and moles left ( or maybe it was the other way around). maybe the voles left because i was pouring my urine down their holes. after the chipmunks dined on my tomatoes i finally shot one and tossed pieces of it around the garden perimeter. didn't see any for the rest of the season. i'll have to research the plaster of paris bait. i'm not into causing pain, but a quick death will do.
    so far this year, no chipmunk damage to tomatoes. but i think a few got a zuke....

• alerek69
    8 years ago

One SURE way to keep chimp monks from plants as r Zucchini ,tomatoes peppers etc is to put coils of double edged barbed wire around each plant. 3 or 4 coils spaced from ground level and then 2 inches apart. Barbed wire is cheap and can be used over again year after year. This also keeps away groundhogs. Barbed wire can be purchased at Tractor Supply stores.

For added protection buy a few mouse traps and spread them around. The critters are smart and don't like getting pricked. They will move on to someone else's garden!

If all else fails a 4.5mm quality air gun takes them out with one shot.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!